live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
U.S. states this week warned food aid recipients that their benefits may not be distributed in November if the federal government shutdown stretches into its fourth week.
Warnings on more than two dozen state websites are sounding the alarm over a potential unprecedented benefit gap for millions of Americans relying on federal food assistance. More than 41 million people who receive aid from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, and nearly 7 million enrolled in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) could face serious disruptions in November if the federal government shutdown continues.
Experts say such a gap could sharply increase already rising hunger and food insecurity rates across the U.S. The administration of President Donald Trump has reduced federal funding for food banks this year and is implementing stricter work requirements for SNAP, potentially pushing more people off the program.
“Families are going to be hurt by this should it continue, at a time we know families are struggling to make ends meet,” said Minerva Delgado, director of coalitions and advocacy at the Alliance to End Hunger.
States Brace for November Benefit Delays
Several states, including Minnesota, California, Pennsylvania, and Texas — have warned that November benefits may not be issued if the shutdown persists into next week. According to anti-hunger groups and food banks in 11 states, local organizations are already preparing recipients for possible aid interruptions.
“If benefits are not delivered, more people would skip meals or make other sacrifices, like falling behind on bills, to keep their families fed,” said Chris Bernard, CEO of Hunger Free Oklahoma.
An Agriculture Department spokesperson described the situation as an “inflection point for Democrats,” as both parties continue to trade blame for the shutdown — now the second longest in U.S. history. Democrats have withheld votes on a spending bill, citing concerns about rising health insurance costs for Americans.
Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins told NewsNation that SNAP benefits would “go away” without a deal to reopen the government by November.
Food Banks Under Strain
Some states have already published early cutoff dates for food aid. Texas’ Health and Human Services Commission, for example, warns that “SNAP benefits for November won’t be issued if the federal government shutdown continues past Oct. 27.”
Oregon’s Department of Human Services urged residents to locate free food resources and make contingency plans in case benefits are delayed.
Food banks, however, say they are already overwhelmed. “This could get really bad. We’re already serving more people than before COVID,” said Jim Conwell of the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
Unusual Delays and Unclear Guidance from USDA
Typically, SNAP and WIC continue during short federal shutdowns, but this time states report limited communication from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). On October 10, the USDA instructed states not to send benefit data to electronic benefit transfer (EBT) processors — an unprecedented move.
The USDA holds about $5 billion in contingency funds, enough to cover only part of a single month’s SNAP benefits, which total roughly $8 billion. The agency has not said whether it plans to use those funds.
Earlier this month, the Trump administration redirected $300 million from tariff revenues to cover October WIC benefits, but there has been no indication that similar funding will be extended into November.
Without additional resources, WIC could face a historic service disruption, warned Georgia Machell, CEO of the National WIC Association.
“November could see a historic disruption to WIC services,” Machell said.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases, with the death toll reaching 2,378, according to the latest government data.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
Cancer patients in Sudan are struggling to access life-saving treatment as soaring medication costs, power shortages and damaged hospital infrastructure deepen the country's healthcare crisis after more than three years of war.
The world risks a resurgence of the HIV epidemic after international funding fell by nearly a fifth last year, according to a new report from UNAIDS, which warned that decades of progress against the disease could be reversed without renewed global support.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment