Azerbaijan seeks bigger global investment role ahead of Baku forum
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan Inter...
The Louvre's ageing security camera system failed on Sunday to detect the thieves in time to prevent their historic heist, the museum's director said on Wednesday as the museum reopened to visitors.
"Despite our efforts, despite our hard work every day, we were defeated," Laurence des Cars, the Louvre director, told a Senate committee.
"We did not detect the thieves' arrival early enough," she said, blaming it on the fact that there were not enough cameras outside monitoring the vicinity of the museum.
The outside security cameras do not offer full coverage of the museum's facade, she said, adding that, in particular, the window through which the thieves broke in was not monitored by CCTV.
Des Cars insisted she had repeatedly warned that the centuries-old building's security was in a dire state.
"The warnings I had been sounding came horribly true last Sunday," she said.
She added that she had handed in her resignation to Culture Minister Rachida Dati, who had refused it.
Francis Steinbock, managing director of the Louvre, tells the committee he was shocked when he visited the five security control rooms and the central control room.
He says the work on the biggest wing will cost €12m (£10m), and the other wings will cost between €6-9m (£5-8m).
Des Cars, president and director of the Louvre Museum appeared before the French Senate today to answer questions bordering on the jewel heist which took place at the Museum on Sunday.
Reactions have followed the incident with some labelling it as an attack on French identity while others said it pointed to a prevailing lax security system in Museums.
Des Cars while fielding questions in the French senate appeared alongisde Dominique Buffin, the Director of Public reception and surveillance also at the Louvre Museum, Francis Steinbock, Deputy General Administrator of the Louvre Museum, and Matthias Grolier, Chief of Staff to the President and Director of the Louvre Museum.
French Senator Laurent Lafon also attended the hearing by the Culture, Education, Communication and Sport Commission at the French Senate.
The hearing coincides with the reopening of the Louvre Museum to the general publich since last Sunday's heist, while the Galerie d'Apollon where eight pieces of Napoleon and the Empress's jewelry collection displayed in the gallery were stolen by thieves, remains closed.
The historic jewellery worth an estimated 88 million euros ($102 million) was taken in a spectacular heist that has raised urgent questions over security lapses at the museum.
Masked thieves used a stolen lift to break in and steal the royal jewels.
Amid rising frustration in France that no senior official has taken responsibility, French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said there had clearly been security failures and Culture Minister Rachida Dati had launched an administrative inquiry.
"There was a burglary at the Louvre, some of the most precious jewels in France were stolen. So obviously it's a failure, there is nothing else I can say," Nunez told.
But he added that "the alarm system worked perfectly, as soon as the window was attacked, it was activated. Police were notified, and within three minutes they were on the scene. The whole system worked, it didn't fail, but what happened has happened."
President Emmanuel Macron has announced a six-year renovation of the Louvre, which will include money for security upgrades.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Spanish police in Catalonia have detained Jonathan Andic, the son of Mango fashion group founder Isak Andic, as part of an ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding his father’s death in December 2024, authorities said.
Spain’s High Court has cleared Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and annulled a €55 million ($64 million) penalty imposed by Spanish tax authorities in 2021, according to a court document.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The Eurovision Song Contest's final takes place in Vienna on Saturday, with the organisers hoping the annual show of glitz and Europop will be a success despite five countries' withdrawal over Israel taking part.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment