Azerbaijan seeks bigger global investment role ahead of Baku forum
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan Inter...
Two men accused of stealing €88 million worth of jewels from Paris’ Louvre Museum have been charged and remanded in custody, as investigators continue to search for the missing treasures.
Two suspects in last month’s brazen daylight robbery of the Louvre Museum in Paris were brought before a judge this week to face formal charges, French media reported on Saturday. The Paris prosecutor’s office said the men, aged 34 and 39, have been charged with organised robbery and conspiracy to commit a crime and have been held in pre-trial detention since Wednesday.
BFMTV reported that the two men are suspected of being the ones who entered the museum and stole the jewels, and they have “partially admitted to the facts,” according to prosecutor Laure Beccuau. Two initial arrests took place on 25 October, followed by five new arrests announced on Thursday, while several other people detained earlier have since been released.
The theft, carried out in broad daylight on 19 October, saw eight pieces taken from the museum’s collection. Among the stolen items are a necklace and an earring from the Marie-Louise collection, a necklace, a pair of earrings, and a tiara from the Marie-Amelie and Hortense collections, as well as two brooches, including a reliquary brooch, a bodice bow, and a tiara from Empress Eugenie’s collection.
The jewels, estimated to be worth €88 million ($102.3 million), remain missing. The investigation into the high-profile theft—described as one of the most audacious art crimes in recent French history—is still ongoing, as authorities attempt to trace the stolen pieces and determine the full extent of the network behind the heist.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Nigeria’s anti-drug agency says it has dismantled a methamphetamine production syndicate in what officials describe as the country’s largest drugs seizure of its kind.
After many years, reams of regulatory paperwork and a well-timed presidential visit, Tesla has finally launched its Full Self-Driving (FSD) system in China, the world’s largest electric vehicle market and one in which competitors have been rapidly advancing their autonomous driving capabilities.
Activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla detained by Israel at sea have been released from prison and are expected to be deported to Türkiye, officials confirmed on Thursday.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
Russia pledged support for Cuba on Thursday after the U.S. indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges linked to the 1996 downing of exile planes, escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment