Indonesia quake kills 54 as search continues on Independence Day
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting...
A fresh Star Wars adventure is on the way, as Shawn Levy and Ryan Gosling officially introduce Star Wars: Starfighter, set to hit cinemas in May 2027.
During the Star Wars Celebration event in Tokyo, director Shawn Levy, known for Deadpool & Wolverine and Stranger things - and actor Ryan Gosling announced their upcoming project — a new Star Wars feature titled Starfighter. The film is scheduled for an exclusive cinema release on 28 May 2027.
Set five years after The Rise of Skywalker (2019), Levy clarified that Starfighter will neither be a prequel nor a sequel. “It’s not a continuation of the old story or a prequel. It’s a brand-new adventure,” he explained.
Gosling promised audiences a “powerful story with original characters, heart, and adventure”, praising Levy as the perfect director for this project.
The script, written by Jonathan Tropper, has been developed in secret over the past two years. Starfighter will exist outside the Skywalker canon, offering a standalone story in the spirit of classic space blockbusters.
While Lucasfilm is currently developing several other projects — including a film centred on Rey featuring Daisy Ridley, as well as productions from James Mangold and Simon Kinberg — Levy’s project is moving ahead most actively. Filming is set to begin in autumn 2025.
Levy, a key figure for Disney, previously directed Deadpool & Wolverine, which grossed $1.33 billion worldwide and became the studio’s highest-grossing R-rated film to date.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
American actress Hayden Panettiere, known for her roles in TV shows such as Nashville and Heroes, has died at the age of 36, ABC News reported on Sunday, citing her representative.
Four artworks by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina have been stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina, Italy's culture minister said on Sunday, expressing confidence in the police inquiry.
Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that his playing career is nearing its end, saying the 2026-27 season will “probably” be his last in professional football.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has changed Eurovision Song Contest rules to allow a winning country to be blocked from hosting if security risks, armed conflict or geopolitical tensions make it unsafe to stage the event.
Each summer, Gabala becomes a gathering point for artists, musicians and audiences from across Azerbaijan and beyond.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment