live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
BMW expects a €1 billion loss for 2025 due to the US-EU tariff dispute, including a 25% duty on certain vehicles and tariffs on its China-made electric cars. The company hopes not all tariffs will remain for the full year.
BMW has stated that it expects tariffs to result in a 1 billion euro ($1.09 billion) hit to its earnings for 2025. The company’s forecast comes amid a trade dispute between the U.S. and the European Union, which has seen increased tariffs on steel, aluminium, and some vehicles from Mexico, including BMW’s cars.
U.S. President Trump has imposed a 25% duty on certain vehicle imports from Mexico and threatened additional tariffs on the EU, which he has described as "hostile and abusive." In response, the EU has pledged to retaliate but continues to call for dialogue to resolve the issue.
BMW’s CEO, Oliver Zipse, mentioned that the company’s estimate is "conservative," though executives do not expect all tariffs to remain in place for the entire year. The company reported a 37% drop in profits last year, partly due to the impact of tariffs and duties on its business.
Meanwhile, French Finance Minister Eric Lombard expressed concerns that a trade war between the EU and the U.S. would negatively impact both economies, describing it as "idiotic." The EU’s trade chief, Maros Sefcovic, is scheduled to speak with U.S. officials about the ongoing tariff conflict.
The trade tensions are already affecting global economic growth, with firms and consumers delaying investments due to the uncertainty surrounding the future of the tariffs.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Iran says the U.S. war and military presence in the region have worsened marine pollution around the Strait of Hormuz, calling for environmental protection to form part of future arrangements governing the strategic waterway.
Online fast-fashion platform Shein lost a London copyright lawsuit against rival Temu on Thursday over photographs used to promote some products.
Norway’s $2.3 trillion sovereign wealth fund has revealed a 0.05 per cent stake in SpaceX worth $1.22 billion, marking its first reported holding in Elon Musk’s space company.
U.S. data analytics firm Palantir Technologies has reported a 93 per cent year-on-year jump in second-quarter revenue, even as the company faces continued criticism over its work with Israel's military and allegations linking its technology to the war in Gaza.a.
Rising trade across the Caspian Sea is strengthening Georgia’s role as a logistics hub and could help the country develop higher-value industries, according to the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Ford raised its full-year earnings forecast after reporting stronger-than-expected second-quarter adjusted profit, as resilient demand for its vehicles and operational improvements helped offset tariff-related costs.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment