Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan target $1 billion in trade by 2030
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deep...
An oil tanker carrying one million barrels of crude oil exploded near the Libyan coast, Bloomberg reported on 30 June.
The explosion occurred on Friday in the engine room of the Vilamoura, a Marshall Islands-flagged tanker, approximately 90 nautical miles (165 kilometres) off the Libyan coast, the operator TMS Tankers confirmed.
In a statement, the company said: “There were no injuries and no pollution.”
The blast flooded the engine room, leaving the vessel disabled.
The vessel, Vilamoura, had previously called at Russian ports, including Ust-Luga and the Caspian Pipeline Consortium terminal near Novorossiysk, to load Kazakh oil.
The Vilamoura had departed from the Libyan port of Zueitina and was en route to the British territory of Gibraltar across the Mediterranean when the incident took place.
According to Bloomberg, the company operating Vilamoura said the ship is currently being towed to Greece, where experts will assess the damage. The cause of the explosion remains unknown. No injuries or environmental pollution have been reported.
This incident is part of a worrying pattern. Bloomberg cites maritime risk consultancy Vanguard Tech as saying that since the start of 2025, four other vessels which had visited Russian ports have suffered unexplained explosions.
Shipowners are now deploying divers and submersibles to inspect hulls for possible underwater mines or sabotage devices.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment