AnewZ Morning Brief -21 February, 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of February, covering the latest developments you need to...
At least 16 people were killed during anti-government protests across Kenya on Wednesday, with rights groups accusing police of using lethal force against demonstrators marking the anniversary of last year's deadly unrest.
Sixteen people died during nationwide anti-government protests in Kenya on Wednesday, with most victims reportedly shot by police, according to Amnesty Kenya. The demonstrations, which drew thousands to the streets, marked one year since tax protests in 2024 that left over 60 dead and saw demonstrators storm parliament.
Irungu Houghton, executive director of Amnesty Kenya, said the death toll was verified by the rights group along with the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR). “Most were killed by police,” he told Reuters, confirming that at least five victims had died from gunshot wounds.
KNCHR had earlier reported eight deaths linked to gunfire and said more than 400 people, including protesters, police officers and journalists, had been injured in the clashes. The group condemned what it described as “excessive use of force”, including rubber bullets and live ammunition.
Kenyan police have not commented on the allegations. The Independent Policing Oversight Authority confirmed at least 61 arrests nationwide.
Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi reported receiving 107 injured people, many with gunshot wounds. One Kenya Power security guard was also confirmed dead after being shot while patrolling company premises.
Tensions escalated when large crowds approached State House, the presidential residence. Broadcasters NTV and KTN were temporarily taken off air for covering the protests live, defying an order from the Communications Authority of Kenya. A Nairobi court later suspended the directive, allowing the channels to resume broadcasts.
Protests and sporadic violence were also reported in Mombasa, Kitengela, Kisii, Matuu and Nyeri.
Public anger has continued to simmer over the conduct of security forces. Earlier this month, outrage grew following the death in custody of Albert Ojwang, a blogger and teacher. Six individuals, including three police officers, have been charged with his murder.
Ojwang’s death has reignited calls for police accountability. “We are fighting for the rights of our fellow youths and Kenyans and the people who died since June 25... we want justice,” protester Lumumba Harmony told Reuters.
The anniversary comes a year after protesters stormed Kenya’s parliament on 25 June 2024 in response to a controversial tax bill. The events marked one of the gravest political challenges of President William Ruto’s administration and drew condemnation from international partners concerned over human rights violations.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Police in Tirana fired tear gas and used water cannon in clashes on Friday (20 February) with opposition protesters demanding the resignation of the Albanian government following corruption allegations against the deputy prime minister.
U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to China from 31 March to 2 April, the White House has confirmed, for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping as a U.S. Supreme Court ruling reshapes his tariff policy.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday that its life‑saving food and nutrition assistance in Somalia could end by April without urgent funding, leaving millions at risk of severe hunger.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment