Why Ukraine is targeting Wildberries warehouses in Russia
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes ai...
A French court has sentenced 74-year-old former surgeon Joël Le Scouarnec to the maximum 20 years in prison for the rape and sexual assault of 299 children, concluding one of the country’s most horrific abuse cases in recent history.
Le Scouarnec, already serving a 15-year sentence from a 2020 conviction involving four children, including his nieces, was found guilty in a new trial that revealed a decades-long pattern of abuse between 1989 and 2014, primarily involving unconscious or sedated hospital patients, most aged around 11.
The Morbihan criminal court ruled he must serve at least two-thirds of the new sentence before becoming eligible for release. The case shocked France not only for its scale—158 boys and 141 girls were among the victims—but also due to systemic failures that allowed the abuse to continue.
Despite a 2005 conviction for possession of child sexual abuse material, Le Scouarnec kept his medical license and continued practicing in hospitals until his arrest in 2017, sparking accusations of institutional inaction. During the trial, he confessed not only to the documented cases but also to other assaults now beyond the statute of limitations—including the abuse of his granddaughter.
The trial exposed how Le Scouarnec disguised abuse as medical care, meticulously documenting his crimes in journals. Many victims learned of the abuse only after police contacted them. Some entries were so explicit and horrifying they became central to the prosecution's case.
Prosecutor Stéphane Kellenberger sharply criticized both medical authorities and the French bureaucracy for failing to stop the abuse. “More could have been done,” he said. “Responsibilities were lost—innocent lives were destroyed.”
While Le Scouarnec claimed he no longer feels sexual attraction to children, experts told the court that his risk of reoffending remains high.
A third trial is anticipated as more victims, including further allegations involving his granddaughter, continue to come forward.
The case has reignited national debates around child protection, medical oversight, and France’s handling of institutional abuse—issues still unfolding across sectors from education to religion.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment