live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has publicly condemned a serious accident involving the launch of a new 5,000-ton destroyer as a “criminal act” rooted in “absolute carelessness,” marking a rare and unusually candid acknowledgment of failure by Pyongyang’s leadership.
The incident occurred Wednesday at the northeastern port of Chongjin, state media KCNA reported Thursday.
According to KCNA, the warship lost balance during the launch, causing crushing damage to sections of its bottom hull. While the report did not confirm any casualties, South Korea’s military observed the vessel lying sideways in the water shortly after the failed launch.
Kim, who was present at the event, sharply criticized what he described as “irresponsibility and unscientific empiricism,” stating the failure had brought “the dignity and self-respect of our state to a collapse.” He ordered an immediate restoration of the ship ahead of a key Workers’ Party meeting scheduled for June, adding that resolving the issue was not just technical but a matter of national and political importance.
The failed launch was meant to showcase one of North Korea’s largest and most advanced naval assets—part of Kim’s broader strategy to upgrade the country’s maritime power with warships capable of carrying and launching dozens of missiles. It follows the April launch of another destroyer of similar class from the Nampho shipyard on the country’s west coast.
The latest ship was reportedly launched sideways from the quay, a method not previously observed in North Korean warship construction. Analysts from U.S.-based 38 North speculated last week that the technique may have been adopted out of necessity due to a lack of proper launching infrastructure at the site.
In a sign of possible military posturing, South Korea later reported that North Korea fired multiple cruise missiles on Thursday, around the time KCNA released its report on the failed warship launch. No further details on the missile tests were provided.
South Korean and U.S. intelligence had been monitoring the shipyard in advance of the launch, according to Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff. Commercial satellite imagery captured the day before showed the destroyer on the quay with support vessels nearby and its missile tubes exposed.
Experts say Pyongyang’s quick and public acknowledgment of the failure reflects Kim’s evolving leadership strategy. “It shows again Kim Jong Un’s ruling style of cutting off negative rumors from spreading and controlling officials more forcefully by being open about it rather than hiding it,” said Cheong Seong-chang of the Sejong Institute in Seoul.
The incident highlights the technical and infrastructural limitations North Korea still faces in its push to modernize its military, even as it seeks to project strength amid growing geopolitical tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment