live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Russian drones struck the Ukrainian capital for a second consecutive night, wounding four people, officials said early on Thursday.
Tymur Tkachenko, head of Kyiv’s military administration, reported that several homes and buildings, including a kindergarten had been damaged in the attack. City authorities also warned residents to be prepared for possible missile strikes on the capital.
The latest assault followed a wave of missile and drone attacks across Ukraine on Wednesday that left six people dead, among them two children, and triggered widespread power outages.
“At around 7:20 a.m., there was an explosion, and almost instantly I felt pain on my face. I started screaming. When I wiped my face, I thought I was crying, but it was blood,” said 24-year-old shop worker Nadiia Zinchuk, speaking near a damaged building in Kyiv.
Officials described the overnight bombardment as part of Russia’s continuing effort to cripple Ukraine’s energy infrastructure as winter nears in the conflict that has now lasted more than three and a half years.
“Most regions of Ukraine were targeted,” said Energy Minister Svitlana Hrynchuk. “This is the second such strike in a month, showing a systematic attempt by the enemy to destroy our energy system before winter.”
Hrynchuk added that Russian forces were also attacking repair crews working to restore damaged power facilities.
Russia’s Defence Ministry said its forces had targeted Ukrainian energy infrastructure in retaliation for Ukrainian attacks on Russian civilian sites.
Ukraine’s Energy Ministry said Hrynchuk had spoken with her U.S. counterpart, Energy Secretary Chris Wright, briefing him on the aftermath of the strikes and Ukraine’s urgent need for additional equipment. Wright reportedly assured her that Washington would support Ukraine through the winter.
According to Ukraine’s Air Force, Russia launched 405 drones and 28 missiles during the overnight assault. Air defences intercepted 333 drones and 16 missiles.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said ten people were rescued from a fire in a high-rise building in the Dniprovskyi district, with a child among the five taken to hospital. Fires also broke out in the Desnianskyi, Darnytskyi and Pecherskyi districts — the latter home to the historic Kyiv Pechersk Lavra monastery, a landmark of Ukrainian cultural and spiritual heritage.
Nationwide power outages
Most regions of Ukraine suffered blackouts as a result of the attacks.
In the central Poltava region, Russian strikes damaged oil and gas facilities in the Myrhorod district, according to the regional governor.
In the southeastern Zaporizhzhia region, which has been under relentless shelling from Russian forces, 13 people were injured in overnight attacks, regional governor Ivan Fedorov said.
Authorities across Ukraine have once again set up emergency aid points — known as “points of invincibility” — where residents can warm up, charge their phones, and receive food and hot drinks amid prolonged power, heating and water outages.
Since the full-scale invasion began in 2022, Russia has repeatedly targeted Ukraine’s energy facilities, claiming they are legitimate military objectives.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment