Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Russia says it shot down dozens of Ukrainian drones targeting Moscow and regional cities in a second consecutive night of attacks, just days before key World War Two memorial events.
Russian air defence units destroyed at least 19 Ukrainian drones approaching Moscow overnight, according to Mayor Sergei Sobyanin. The attack, coming from multiple directions, forced a shutdown of all four Moscow airports for several hours. No casualties or major destruction were reported.
Telegram channels linked to Russian security services reported a drone strike on a residential building near a main road in southern Moscow. Windows were smashed, but no injuries occurred.
Tuesday marked the second straight night of drone attacks. Russia’s aviation authority halted flights not only in Moscow but in several regional airports to ensure safety.
President Vladimir Putin had announced a three-day ceasefire from May 8 to 10, marking the 80th anniversary of the Soviet victory in World War Two. Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky called the move pointless, proposing instead a 30-day unconditional ceasefire, as previously suggested by Washington.
Beyond Moscow, 18 drones were destroyed over Russia’s Voronezh region, causing minor damage to a building and a playground. In the Penza region, 10 drones were intercepted with no reported damage.
Since the full-scale war began over three years ago, Ukraine has repeatedly used drones to strike targets inside Russia. The deadliest attack came in March, killing three in Moscow.
Kyiv has not commented on the latest strike but maintains that such operations target military infrastructure in response to continued Russian assaults on Ukrainian cities and energy grids.
At least 12,654 civilians have been killed and 29,392 injured since 24 February 2022, with the majority (84%) in territory controlled by Ukraine.
Children accounted for 673 deaths and 1,895 of those injured.
The number of civilian casualties increased by 30% in 2024, compared to 2023, the report added.
The findings also show people over the age of 60 made up nearly half of civilian deaths - despite accounting for 25% of the population in frontline communities in 2024.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment