Pentagon threatens to label Anthropic ‘supply chain risk’ over AI limits
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of i...
Google is facing a landmark antitrust trial beginning Monday, as U.S. officials seek to break up the tech giant's dominance in the search engine market.
The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has brought the case to court, arguing that Google should be forced to sell its Chrome browser to restore competition to the online search market.
The outcome of the trial could have significant ramifications, potentially disrupting Google's long-standing position as the primary gateway to the internet. The DOJ hopes that the trial will not only challenge Google's monopoly in search but also prevent the company from extending its dominance into emerging technologies like artificial intelligence.
During the opening statements, DOJ attorney David Dahlquist emphasized the bipartisan nature of the case, noting that it had been initiated under the Trump administration and carried forward under President Biden. "The full support of the DOJ both past and present" is behind this effort, he stated.
In response, Google has signaled its intent to appeal any unfavorable ruling. Google executive Lee-Anne Mulholland criticized the DOJ's proposed remedies, suggesting that they were too extreme and would disrupt the company's operations. "When it comes to antitrust remedies, the U.S. Supreme Court has said that 'caution is key,'" Mulholland wrote in a blog post. "DOJ's proposal throws that caution to the wind."
Assistant Attorney General Abigail Slater, however, rejected Google's concerns, arguing that failing to address Google's monopoly would be "irresponsible." Slater, speaking outside the courthouse on Monday morning, stressed the need for action to address Google's abuse of its market power.
The trial is being overseen by U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta and is expected to last for three weeks. At the center of the case is Google's practice of paying billions of dollars annually to companies like Apple to make its search engine the default on smartphones and tablets. The DOJ and a coalition of 38 state attorneys general are pushing for drastic measures, including ending these exclusive agreements, requiring Google to license search results to competitors, and potentially forcing the company to sell its Android operating system if other remedies fail to restore competition.
The DOJ also plans to call witnesses from AI companies, including Perplexity AI and OpenAI, to testify about how Google's exclusive agreements have hindered competition in the AI sector. Google, on the other hand, sees these proposals as excessive, arguing that cutting off financial support to browser makers like Mozilla and device vendors would harm the tech ecosystem and lead to higher costs for consumers.
The trial follows a recent win for the DOJ in a separate antitrust case, where a Virginia court ruled that Google maintains an illegal monopoly in advertising technology. The case is part of broader scrutiny of big tech companies, with Meta Platforms currently facing its own antitrust trial over its acquisitions of Instagram and WhatsApp.
U.S. Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said China has the power to bring an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine, arguing that Beijing is enabling Moscow’s military campaign.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani said the United States could evaluate its own interests separately from those of Israel in ongoing negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday (15 February) called it “troubling” a report by five European allies blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using a toxin from poison dart frogs.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Saturday that Russia’s decision to change the leadership of its delegation for upcoming peace talks in Geneva appeared to be an attempt to delay progress.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with garbage piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the United States are set to meet in Geneva for a third round of trilateral negotiations aimed at ending the nearly four-year war, even as both sides intensify military pressure on the ground.
The Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with garbage piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Day 10 of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics delivered high-stakes semifinals, dramatic finishes and classic podium moments across Milan and the Italian Alps. Photographers captured split seconds of symmetry before puck drops, explosive turns on the ice and triumphant celebrations.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment