Deadly Indonesia protests force u-turn on lawmakers' perks
Indonesia’s President Prabowo Subianto has announced the suspension of certain parliamentary perks, including a $3,000 monthly housing allowance, af...
President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order as early as Thursday directing Education Secretary Linda McMahon to take steps to close the U.S. Department of Education, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.
The draft order, which is labeled “pre-decisional” and subject to change, includes a statement criticizing federal oversight of education. “The experiment of controlling American education through Federal programs and dollars—and the unaccountable bureaucrats those programs and dollars support—has failed our children, our teachers, and our families,” it reads.
Eliminating the department has long been a favored proposal among conservatives. Following her Senate confirmation, McMahon reportedly sent an email to staff stating that she would “send education back to the states,” emphasizing that both Trump and American voters had entrusted her with the task of streamlining or eliminating the department’s bureaucracy.
The U.S. Department of Education was established by Congress in 1979 with the goal of strengthening federal support for equal educational opportunities and supplementing state efforts. In a 2023 campaign video, Trump had previously promised, “One other thing I’ll be doing very early in the administration is closing up the Department of Education in Washington, DC, and sending all education and education work and needs back to the states.”
While an executive order cannot unilaterally close a federal agency without congressional approval, the administration could potentially undermine the department’s functions and reassign its duties. The move comes amid broader efforts by the Trump administration to reduce federal spending and reshape domestic policy.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Indonesia’s President Prabowo Subianto has announced the suspension of certain parliamentary perks, including a $3,000 monthly housing allowance, after widespread protests left at least six people dead. T
A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck southeastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border late Sunday, injuring at least 23 people, according to officials.
Iran-backed Houthi rebels raided offices of the United Nations’ food, health, and children’s agencies in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on Sunday, detaining at least 11 personnel, reports said.
At least 23 people have died in the past 24 hours in Punjab province, Pakistan, after heavy monsoon rains triggered severe flooding, officials said.
Germany’s Merz: Ukraine war could last for a long time
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment