President Ilham Aliyev holds key meetings with Chinese industry leaders
President Ilham Aliyev held a series of strategic meetings with senior executives from leading Chinese industrial corporations in Tianjin on 31 August...
The Trump administration has halted U.S. scientists' participation in key U.N. climate change assessments, marking another step in its retreat from international climate efforts. The decision affects researchers working with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
The White House has ordered staff from the U.S. Global Change Research Program and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to stop work with an IPCC working group, sources told Reuters.
As a result, the U.S. will not attend a major IPCC plenary meeting in Hangzhou, China, next week, where discussions will shape the next global climate assessment, including policies on carbon capture and removal.
Climate experts have raised concerns over the withdrawal, warning it could weaken the IPCC’s role in providing a shared global understanding of climate risks and mitigation strategies.
“The U.S. being completely removed from that process is concerning,” said Delta Merner of the Union of Concerned Scientists.
Despite the halt, American researchers will continue contributing to climate studies used by the IPCC. However, the absence of official U.S. participation is expected to be significant.
China’s foreign ministry said it was unaware of the U.S. decision. The U.S. previously co-chaired a working group on climate mitigation alongside Malaysia and had pledged $1.5 million to support the IPCC—funds that remain unapproved by Congress.
Climate scientists say the move aligns with Trump’s broader efforts to withdraw from international climate agreements, including his second exit from the Paris accord and reductions in global climate finance.
“This would align with Trump's signals around climate action,” said Kathryn Bowen, an IPCC lead author and professor at Melbourne University. She also noted declining international funding for climate science, which could impact research, particularly in developing nations.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Norway will purchase a fleet of British-built frigates to reinforce its naval strength, the government confirmed on Sunday. The move marks a decisive step in what is expected to be the country’s largest-ever military procurement and a significant boost to NATO’s northern maritime defences.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several regional parliament buildings set on fire.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
China’s largest city and global financial hub, Shanghai, has set a new heat record, state media reported on Saturday. Temperatures in the city exceeded 35°C (95°F) for 25 consecutive days, breaking the previous record set in 1926.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment