China launches nationwide fire safety inspection after Hong Kong inferno
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at ...
Argentina’s President Javier Milei declared that he would follow the United States in withdrawing from the World Health Organization due to “profound differences in health management, especially due to the pandemic, which led us to the longest confinement in the history of humanity.”
“We have decided to leave such a harmful organisation, which was the executing arm of what was the largest social-control experiment in history,” wrote Milei on social media.
Milei attributed his decision to the WHO’s management of the Covid-19 pandemic, which he described as a “one of the most outlandish crimes against humanity in history”.
The announcement comes two days after the meeting of the WHO Executive Board, where organization’s Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said: “We would welcome suggestions from the United States and all Member States for how we can serve you and the people of the world better. So, although we are doing a lot of reform, additional is welcome.”
The United States is the biggest financial backer of the WHO, contributing around 15% of its overall funding last year
The WHO's most recent two-year budget, for 2024-2025, was $6.8 billion. Member States contribute directly nearly 60% of the programme budget, and another 14% comes from other organizations in the United Nations system, partnerships and development banks which are themselves largely funded by governments. Last year Argentina’s contribution to WHO was comparatively small – amounting to only $8 million as for the 2024-25 biennium, as compared to some nearly $1 billion paid by the US
Two weeks ago, President Donald Trump signed an Executive Order announcing his intention to withdraw the United States from WHO.
“We regret the decision, and we hope the US will reconsider. We would welcome constructive dialogue to preserve and strengthen the historic relationship between WHO and the USA,” – said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
He unveiled that even before the US announcement, “WHO was facing a shortfall due to the economic difficulties that many countries are facing” and for many months, the organization had been working with twin strategic goals: “to mobilize new resources; and to tighten our belts.”
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
Rescuers in Sri Lanka are racing against rising floodwaters and treacherous terrain today after a powerful storm system slammed into the island nation, killing at least 46 people and displacing tens of thousands in a disaster that threatens to strain the country’s resources.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Pope Leo visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque on Saturday, stepping inside one of the most iconic sites of the Muslim world. He removed his shoes at the entrance in a gesture of respect. He did not appear to pray.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment