Morning Brief - 22 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments. ...
Around 70 bodies are expected to be buried as families continue to search for missing relatives.
The first of dozens of unidentified migrants who died during a mass crossing into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta were buried on Friday, three weeks after the deadly attempt to enter the territory from Morocco.
At Ceuta's Muslim cemetery, gravediggers wearing protective overalls and face masks lowered four bodies wrapped in white body bags into graves lined with cinder blocks. A Muslim cleric recited a brief prayer as hearses arrived with more bodies.
Said Mohammed, the cemetery's acting manager, said around 70 bodies would be buried over the coming days, with between 10 and 12 burials planned each day.
About 95% of the bodies have not yet been identified, Mohammed said. Each grave has been marked with a numbered stone so the remains can be traced if the person is later identified and relatives arrange repatriation.
The migrants are being buried according to Muslim rites, with their bodies placed facing Mecca and covered with soil.
Authorities say between 5,000 and 8,000 migrants remain in Ceuta after at least 72,000 people crossed from Morocco on 30 July. The rush left 82 migrants dead on the Spanish side of the border, while Morocco confirmed another 14 deaths.
Only six migrants have been identified so far, all adult Moroccan men, according to the latest figures from a Ceuta court.
For families in Morocco, the wait for news has been agonising. Relatives of missing migrants have been appealing for information on social media and pressing authorities to help locate their loved ones.
Spanish and Moroccan authorities have been comparing fingerprints with databases from both countries and collecting DNA samples from relatives who have come forward.
Lieutenant Colonel Carlos Atoche of Spain's Civil Guard, who heads its crime division, said identifying the victims had been made harder because Moroccan relatives had difficulty legally crossing into Ceuta to provide DNA samples.
As the burials continue, numbered stones now mark the graves of people whose families may still be waiting to learn what happened to them.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
One person was killed and three others injured on Friday when an 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked students at a school in Fagersta, central Sweden, before police shot and detained him.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment