U.S. and South Korea cut military drills to five days after Trump orders reduction
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to sub...
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, which began on 17 August, will now end on 21 August rather than running until the 27th. Some field manoeuvres will also be reduced, while other live-training activities will be cancelled or replaced with computer simulations.
The allies said the changes would preserve essential military readiness.
South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies were moving to cancel the second phase of the exercise, which involves counterattack operations, according to South Korean media.
Despite the changes, a Pentagon official said the adjustments would not undermine U.S. training objectives.
South Korean officials said the decision was being coordinated closely with Washington. National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac said Seoul would “continue such coordination in the future”.
The scale-back has raised questions about coordination between the allies. South Korea's Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing in Seoul on Wednesday that neither South Korean nor U.S. officials had been informed in advance of Trump's order.
“Our government officials, of course, and the U.S. government officials hadn't known about it in advance,” Cho said when asked whether Seoul had been notified of the planned reduction.
Cho also suggested that Trump's message appeared to carry pressure for South Korea to become more involved in the war in Iran, linking the decision on the joint drills to wider disagreements between Washington and Seoul.
Trump has criticised South Korea for not doing more to support U.S. military operations in Iran, while Seoul has said it is considering “practical contributions” within the limits of its defence posture and domestic law.
The dispute adds another layer to an already complex alliance, as Washington seeks greater support from Seoul while South Korea remains focused on maintaining military readiness against North Korea.
Pyongyang criticised the drills again on Wednesday, calling the U.S. and South Korea “warmongers” and accusing them of increasing tensions on the Korean peninsula.
However, North Korea did not directly address Trump's order to scale back the exercises. Analysts said the relatively restrained response could indicate that Pyongyang wants to keep diplomatic options open.
The timing is significant, with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visiting Seoul this week for talks expected to include regional security and developments on the Korean peninsula.
The move to shorten the joint military drills follows Trump's decision to reduce the U.S. role in the exercises, with the president pointing to his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump has met Kim three times and has indicated that he wants to reopen direct diplomacy with Pyongyang. Reports suggest his administration is exploring the possibility of another meeting with the North Korean leader later this year.
The exercises have long been a source of tension with North Korea, which routinely describes them as preparations for an invasion. Washington and Seoul maintain that the drills are defensive and necessary to ensure their forces remain prepared to respond to a potential attack.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment