Why Congo's Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than ever
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Dela...
Afghan officials have agreed to expanded cooperation with the United Nations regarding housing and jobs for returning Afghan citizens.
They held meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday with members of the UN Development Programme (UNDP) and UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Kabul.
“The United Nations will spare no effort in providing support to refugees and assisting in their reintegration,” the UNHCR representative Barham Salih said.
Afghanistan’s Deputy Prime Minister for Administrative Affairs Abdul Salam Hanafi said decades of conflict created heavy financial and human losses and that refugees had been forced out of neighbouring countries.
However, according to an official statement, Hanafi said that since the establishment in 2021 of the Islamic Emirate – an alternative name for the Taliban -- more than eight million refugees have returned to the country.
A 2025 report by the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) said returns from Pakistan accelerated after authorities there set a deadline for undocumented Afghans to leave or be deported. It coincided with a separate wave of Afghan citizens returning from Iran.
In a second meeting on Wednesday, Afghanistan’s Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs Abdul Ghani Baradar met Salih and said assistance should move towards development projects.
The office said Baradar wanted returning refugees and internally displaced Afghans to benefit from services including housing, schools and electricity.
The mass influx of Afghans returning home has been adding significant pressure on housing, jobs, access to clean water and other basic services. According to the UNHCR and IOM, more than 890,000 people returned to Afghanistan during the first half of this year.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment