Why Congo's Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than ever
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Dela...
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said the diplomats would be expelled “in the very near future”, after Iranian authorities detained two French embassy employees on 19 July.
“I had announced that this intolerable act would have consequences. And so it has,” Barrot said in a post on X.
France said the two embassy staff were detained and physically intimidated by Iranian security services during the July incident. Barrot subsequently summoned Iran's chargé d'affaires in Paris to protest.
The latest move came a day after Tehran announced that the two French employees would not be allowed to return to Iran.
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said two French Embassy employees had been declared persona non grata for allegedly breaching the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations by carrying out activities supporting Iranian civil society.
In a statement late on Tuesday, the ministry said the two had engaged in “activities that violate international law” and criticised France for failing to take action after the alleged conduct was exposed, as reported by IRNA.
It said the employees would be barred from entering Iran, adding that their actions had not been corrected despite several weeks passing since the allegations emerged.
The convention sets out the rights and responsibilities of diplomats and diplomatic missions, including protections intended to allow them to carry out their official duties.
France has strongly rejected Tehran's allegations.
“The Iranian authorities have chosen to make completely false accusations against our agents and to fabricate a case of interference to justify their actions,” French Foreign Ministry Spokesman Pascal Confavreux said.
Paris has described the detention as an unacceptable attack on diplomatic personnel, while Iran has accused the French employees of involvement in a foreign influence operation.
Tehran later said the diplomats were detained as part of an investigation into alleged “foreign influence and interference” targeting Iran's independence.
The European Union has also condemned the incident, adding pressure on Tehran amid already strained relations with European governments.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment