live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
Iran says it will use all diplomatic and legal channels to determine the fate of three Air Force pilots it believes are being held in Qatar after their fighter jets were downed during the March war.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said on Monday that it will use all “bilateral, multilateral and legal capacities” at its disposal to determine the status of three missing Air Force pilots believed to be in Qatari captivity, as Tehran presses Doha for answers over their fate.
“Iran's serious demand from Qatar is to clarify the status of these pilots. We will use all bilateral, multilateral, and legal capacities to pursue their fate,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said at a weekly press briefing.
He added that Iran was in contact with Qatari officials in Doha and Qatar’s embassy in Tehran over the fate of the missing Air Force pilots, whose fighter jets were downed in the first days of the Israel-U.S. war against Iran in March.
“From the very first days, following up on the fate of the four pilots was on our agenda. These pilots were on a defensive mission to strike at the bases that were the source and origin of the US aggression against Iran,” he added after one of the pilots was confirmed dead.
According to General Mohammad Bagherzadeh, commander of the Missing Persons Search Committee of the General Staff of Iran’s Armed Forces, four Iranian pilots flying two Su-24 Fencer fighter jets were hit by air defence while returning from a military mission on 2 March.
Bagherzadeh said three of the pilots were captured by Qatar, while the fourth was killed by “enemy” fire.
Baghaei also strongly criticised Islamic states in the region for allowing their territory and airspace to be used by the U.S. military to attack a Muslim nation during the fasting month of Ramadan, but he did not name any country.
Asked about the 60-day ceasefire agreement between Iran and the U.S., which expired on Monday, Baghaei said the deal, known as the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding, had become “moot” because talks never took place following what Tehran described as U.S. violations from the first days after it was signed on 17 June by the presidents of Iran and the U.S.
“What was stated in the memorandum, the implementation status of which is currently completely unclear and inactive due to the gross violations by the US, had foreseen that discussions would be held over a period of 60 days on the two issues of lifting sanctions and the nuclear issue and that if we did not reach a conclusion within these 60 days, it would be extended.”
Baghaei said the negotiations never began because the U.S. committed what he described as “gross and widespread violations” of its provisions just a few weeks after the agreement was signed.
“Therefore, the 60-day issue is basically no longer relevant.”
“It has been proven time and again that Iran is not a party that adjusts its policies under pressure, ultimatums, and deadlines. We make decisions based on national interests and our assessments of what provides and guarantees national interests and security,” the spokesman told reporters.
Asked why Iran and Oman had not announced an agreement on managing traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, Baghaei confirmed that the two countries had agreed on a navigation route through the waterway and were working on the provisions of a joint statement.
“Talks between Iran and Oman are continuing in earnest,” he replied.
“Views are being exchanged on the text of the joint statement, and both sides have so far shown that they are determined to develop a mechanism that meets the interests and concerns of both sides while also meeting considerations related to international shipping,” Baghaei said.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sunday. Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Washington must meet Tehran's conditions for shipping to resume.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Kazakhstan has launched a unified digital platform to track coal supplies in real time, giving officials a clearer view of production, shipments, stocks and prices ahead of the heating season.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s push to end the war in Gaza returned to the diplomatic arena on Sunday (16 August), as his envoys met Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo while Israeli strikes continued across the strip.
At least 11 people, including three children and two women, were killed in Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, according to Lebanese authorities, in one of the deadliest escalations since a U.S.-mediated framework was agreed between Lebanon and Israel.
As the countries of the Turkic world seek deeper economic integration, the Turkic Investment Fund (TIF) is positioning itself as a key financial vehicle for turning political cooperation into tangible development projects.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment