Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
The United Nations Human Rights Council has approved a motion condemning escalating violence by Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) around the city of al-Obeid and ordered an urgent investigation into alleged human rights abuses in the area.
The resolution, adopted by consensus on Monday, was brought forward by Britain and 14 other countries amid growing international concern over the situation in and around al-Obeid, one of Sudan's largest cities.
Britain has repeatedly warned of the risk of mass atrocities as RSF forces gather around the city, drawing comparisons with last year's capture of al-Fashir in North Darfur.
“These horrors must not be repeated,” Britain's Human Rights Ambassador Eleanor Sanders told the council.
The vote comes days after U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk warned that a “catastrophe” was unfolding around al-Obeid.
Turk said his office had documented reports of summary executions, abductions, torture and sexual violence in the wider Kordofan region.
South Africa's Ambassador Zaheer Laher backed the council's action, describing the situation as a “red alert”.
“The Rapid Support Forces are drawing from the very same genocidal playbook they used in al-Fashir,” he said.
The RSF has previously rejected accusations of abuses during Sudan's more than three-year civil war, arguing that such allegations are fabricated by its opponents and making counterclaims against rival forces.
The United Nations also said its top humanitarian official, Tom Fletcher, discussed the worsening situation during a telephone conversation with RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.
According to U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric, Fletcher stressed the importance of maintaining humanitarian access and ensuring civilians can move safely through conflict-affected areas.
He also expressed concern about drone attacks that have affected civilians and damaged critical infrastructure.
Meanwhile, U.N. Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Denise Brown completed a visit to al-Obeid on Sunday to assess the humanitarian situation and review the impact of attacks on civilians.
Although the resolution passed without a vote, China distanced itself from the decision, saying it opposed country-specific investigations carried out without the consent of the state concerned.
Some human rights organisations also argued that the resolution did not go far enough.
African rights group DefendDefenders said the council had failed to adequately address what it described as external support for the conflict, including allegations of foreign military assistance to the RSF.
The Sudanese government, which is aligned with the army in its war against the RSF, has repeatedly accused the United Arab Emirates of supplying weapons to the paramilitary group.
The UAE has consistently denied those allegations. However, U.N. experts and some U.S. lawmakers have previously said evidence pointing to UAE military support for the RSF was credible.
Sudan's war between the army and the RSF has triggered one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, displacing millions of people and devastating large parts of the country.
The latest U.N. action highlight ongoing concern that al-Obeid could become the next major flashpoint in the conflict as international pressure mounts to prevent a repeat of the large-scale atrocities witnessed elsewhere in Sudan.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment