live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
Around 10,000 people have been evacuated from two dozen towns and villages in southwestern France near the Spanish border as a major wildfire continues to spread, with strong winds making conditions increasingly difficult for firefighters.
The blaze has consumed around 4,600 hectares in the foothills of the French Pyrenees, according to local authorities.
French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez warned that weather conditions were deteriorating and that firefighting crews faced another difficult day.
“This morning conditions are deteriorating again,” he said. “Today the battle resumes.”
Officials expect strong winds to accelerate the spread of the fire, further complicating containment efforts.
France has experienced repeated early summer heatwaves in recent months, leaving vegetation exceptionally dry and increasing the risk of major wildfires across the country.
The current blaze is one of the most significant to affect southern France this year.
The wildfire is burning close to the route of the third stage of the Tour de France.
While organisers confirmed the race would continue as scheduled, local authorities have closed public access to the stage to ensure emergency vehicles can move freely.
Officials also said the convoy of team support vehicles accompanying the race would be reduced to minimise disruption.
Across the border in Spain, a separate wildfire has burned around 2,200 hectares, most of it within the protected Les Gavarres natural area in Catalonia.
Regional authorities said the blaze had been stabilised and were expecting it to be fully extinguished later this week.
Police have arrested an employee of a government contractor suspected of accidentally starting the fire while using an angle grinder beside a road.
Further south, another wildfire in Spain's Castellón province forced the evacuation of around 500 people after flames spread into the Sierra de Espadán Natural Park, an area known for its extensive cork oak forests.
Emergency services in both France and Spain remain on high alert as hot and dry conditions persist across south-western Europe.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
Russian opposition politician Lev Shlosberg has been sentenced to 11 years and one month in a penal colony after being convicted of criticising Russia's military campaign in Ukraine.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment