live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
European Union leaders agreed on Thursday to extend sanctions against Russia over its ongoing war in Ukraine for a further 12 months, marking the first time the restrictive measures have been renewed on an annual basis rather than the previous six-month cycle.
A spokesperson for the chair of the summit in Brussels confirmed the decision, which maintains pressure on key sectors of the Russian economy as the war approaches its fourth year.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy told EU leaders that Europe’s future security depends on Ukraine’s defence against Russia, renewing his call for a fast-track path to European Union membership.
“Every democratic nation in Europe deserved to be in the EU,” Zelenskyy said, arguing that Ukraine had “paid more than any other country” for its right to independence and European integration.
He acknowledged divisions within the bloc, including opposition from Hungary, which has pushed to soften language on accelerated accession in EU summit conclusions.
Despite disagreements, EU ambassadors last week approved the start of accession negotiations with Ukraine and Moldova, beginning with the first of six policy clusters aimed at aligning legislation with EU standards.
A European Council statement welcomed the formal opening of talks and signalled readiness to advance further chapters on a merit-based basis, though without committing to accelerated timelines.
Hungarian officials said references to fast-tracking Ukraine’s membership were removed from the final summit text.
Zelenskyy used the summit to highlight ongoing Russian strikes and Ukraine’s long-range operations, including reported drone attacks on targets deep inside Russian territory, such as an oil refinery near Moscow.
He said Ukraine aims to end the war within the year through diplomacy and sustained international pressure on Russia, while warning of intensified missile and drone attacks.
The Kremlin, meanwhile, reiterated its position that it would continue “massive coordinated strikes” in response to Ukrainian attacks, underscoring the continued escalation on both sides.
The Ukrainian president also urged EU leaders to prioritise military and financial support, including air defence systems, energy supplies, and at least 300 additional missiles if the war extends into winter.
He called for the release of €6 billion from the European Peace Facility and encouraged stronger financial mechanisms to ensure sustained support for Kyiv’s defence effort.
Zelenskyy said Ukraine remains open to negotiations with Russia but stressed that Europe must maintain sanctions pressure and close loopholes to secure a stronger position at the negotiating table.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment