Morning Brief - 20 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments. ...
Ukraine is seeking an additional $20 billion in military funding from its allies, Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said on Wednesday, as Kyiv looks to strengthen its battlefield position and increase pressure on Russia ahead of potential negotiations.
Speaking at a joint press conference with his Dutch counterpart, Fedorov said Ukraine would ask its partners to increase support beyond the nearly $40 billion in military funding already announced.
A Ukrainian defence source told Reuters last week that Kyiv planned to make the request at Thursday's meeting of the Ukraine Defence Contact Group, also known as the Ramstein Group, an alliance of more than 50 countries that coordinates military and financial assistance for Ukraine.
According to Fedorov, of the almost $40 billion already committed by partners, Ukraine currently sees only around $24 billion reflected in delivery schedules.
He said Kyiv has been working with its allies to improve the quality of military assistance and ensure it aligns more closely with Ukraine's priorities, including long-range artillery, domestically produced drones, air defence systems and investments under NATO's Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List (PURL) initiative.
"That is why we are working to improve the quality of this aid and secure an additional 20 billion on top of the 40 billion that has already been announced," Fedorov said.
Fedorov said Ukraine is trying to convince its partners that there is a "window of opportunity" to increase pressure on Russia.
Russian advances have slowed this year, with Ukrainian medium-range drone strikes disrupting Russian supply lines and logistics supporting frontline operations. Long-range drone attacks have also targeted Russia's energy sector.
In recent weeks, Ukrainian military commanders have argued that evolving battlefield dynamics could create an opportunity this year to bring Moscow to the negotiating table on more favourable terms for Kyiv.
The latest appeal for funding comes as Ukraine seeks to maintain military momentum while continuing to defend against Russian attacks and prepare for what could be a decisive phase of the war.
The Ramstein Group's meeting is expected to focus on sustaining military aid, accelerating weapons deliveries and ensuring Ukraine has the resources needed to continue its defence efforts in the months ahead.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment