Pakistan adds 12 sites to UNESCO tentative list, taking total to 37
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's r...
China has sanctioned Philippine Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. and his immediate family, banning them from entering mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao. Beijing says the move responds to repeated remarks by Teodoro that it claims have undermined China's sovereignty and bilateral relations.
The sanctions prohibit Teodoro, his spouse and their child from entering mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao. Chinese organisations and individuals are also barred from engaging in transactions or cooperation with them.
China's Foreign Ministry announced the measures on 11 June 2026, describing them as a response to actions it says have harmed China's core interests.
Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman Senior Colonel Chen Xi defended the sanctions during a regular briefing, describing them as a legitimate step to safeguard China's sovereignty and security.
He said the Foreign Ministry had already explained the decision and insisted responsibility lay with Teodoro.
Chen also urged critics in the Philippines to avoid political provocations, warning that such actions could damage bilateral ties and military-to-military relations.
China has not specified which statements by Teodoro led to the sanctions. Officials have only said that he repeatedly made remarks that harmed China's interests and bilateral relations.
The lack of detail means the decision remains framed within broader political and security tensions between Beijing and Manila.
The sanctions are a rare measure against a serving Philippine cabinet-level official and signal a tougher approach by Beijing towards criticism from Manila.
They also underscore growing sensitivity within the Chinese leadership over Philippine defence and security messaging.
Teodoro is a key figure in shaping Manila's security policy towards China. He has backed stronger defence cooperation with the U.S. and other regional partners as regional tensions have intensified.
China and the Philippines remain locked in disputes over territorial and maritime claims in the South China Sea.
The two countries have repeatedly confronted each other in waters near Scarborough Shoal and Second Thomas Shoal, with incidents involving coast guard and naval vessels. These encounters continue to fuel tensions and shape political rhetoric on both sides.
Relations between China and the Philippines have steadily deteriorated in recent years due to overlapping maritime disputes and broader geopolitical competition.
Despite ongoing diplomatic engagement, both sides continue to trade accusations over sovereignty and security issues, highlighting the persistent strain in bilateral relations.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a boat carrying migrants sank off the Tunisian coast while attempting to reach Italy, according to the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.
AnewZ has launched Business Europe, a new weekday programme examining the companies, decision-makers and economic forces shaping the continent's future, with Brickken CEO Edwin Mata joining the first episode.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment