Dozens of children injured in explosion at Kabul education centre
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full inve...
Rescuers pulled two people from the rubble of a collapsed building under construction in the Philippines, raising the death toll to three. Search and rescue operations continued after scans detected signs of life beneath the debris.
One of the two victims had a pulse when he was retrieved but later died, according to Maria Leah Sajili, information officer at the regional Bureau of Fire Protection. Another victim suffered cardiac arrest while still trapped, she said in a phone interview.
Officials said an investigation is now underway into what caused the collapse of the multi-storey building in the city of Angeles, north of the capital, Manila.
Rescuers were also working to retrieve another body buried under the debris, Sajili said, but it would only be added to the official toll once it has been recovered.
Sajili said there could be more victims trapped, after thermal scans detected signs of breathing and heartbeats beneath the rubble.
The number of missing stood at 17, most of them construction workers listed as being on duty at the site, Sajili said.
Among those who died was a 65-year-old Malaysian national whose body was recovered on Sunday from a neighbouring hotel building that had also been affected by the collapse.
Planning records showed the building that collapsed was intended as a nine-storey condo-hotel under the approved permit, but that a swimming pool was being constructed on an additional 10th floor, authorities said.
Angeles City Mayor Carmelo Lazatin told reporters that authorities were trying to locate the building owner to get answers, including clarity on the number of workers at the site.
Families have grown increasingly impatient and frustrated with the pace of the search and rescue operations.
Lea Casilao, who travelled from Manila, said she only wants regular updates about the status of her husband, a construction worker believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.
"My youngest child keeps asking, but I do not have answers," the 47-year-old said.
Lorena Angcao, 50, echoed her frustration, saying authorities should at least keep families informed.
Ongcao said her brother and sister-in-law, who worked as vendors near the site, were among those missing. "They can't feel what we're feeling," she said.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment