Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
Germany’s opposition party, The Left, on Thursday accused Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s government of fuelling the war in Iran by exporting arms to Israel, as new figures revealed millions of euros in approved military sales.
Germany approved millions of euros’ worth of arms exports to Israel during the early weeks of the Iran conflict, prompting criticism from opposition lawmakers.
According to the German Economy Ministry, cited by the German Press Agency (dpa), Berlin authorised military exports worth €6.6 million between 28 February and 27 March.
The approvals came despite constitutional principles that restrict weapons exports to active conflict zones.
Ulrich Thoden, a lawmaker from the Left party, condemned the move, saying: “The profit interests of the military-industrial complex never serve the cause of peace, neither in the Middle East nor elsewhere; rather, they fuel wars that claim countless lives and can cost entire nations their economic prosperity.”
He called for an “immediate and complete halt” to German arms exports to Israel.
Germany is one of Israel’s closest allies in Europe, and officials have repeatedly stressed the country’s “special responsibility” for Israel’s security due to its Nazi past.
The United States remains Israel’s largest military backer by a wide margin, supplying the majority of its imported weapons.
According to data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, the U.S. and Germany together account for nearly all of Israel’s arms imports in recent years.
Germany is the second-largest supplier, though far behind the U.S.
Other countries play much smaller roles.
Italy supplies a limited share of military equipment.
The United Kingdom’s exports are typically indirect, often involving components or parts rather than complete weapons systems.
While these additional suppliers contribute to Israel’s defence supply chain, their role is minor compared with the scale of U.S. support.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment