WUF13 in Baku closes with global call for inclusive and climate-resilient cities
The 13th session of the World Urban Forum concluded in Baku on 22 May after six days of discussions focused on ...
Russia and Ukraine accused each other of violating a 32-hour ceasefire introduced to mark Orthodox Easter on Saturday (11 April). Russian officials said Ukrainian drones attacked targets in the Kursk and Belgorod border regions, injuring five people.
Ukraine’s General Staff said Russian forces had breached the ceasefire 469 times, including direct attacks, shelling and drone strikes.
The ceasefire, announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday, came into effect at 16:00 Moscow time (13:00 GMT). Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Kyiv would abide by it.
However, Alexander Khinshtein, Governor of Russia's Kursk border region, wrote on the state-backed messenger service MAX that a Ukrainian drone had struck a petrol station in the town of Lgov, injuring three people, including a child. Khinshtein said the attack took place after the start of the ceasefire.
In the adjacent Belgorod region, Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said two people were injured in Ukrainian drone attacks.
Gladkov, writing on Telegram, said a man and woman were injured in attacks in Shebekino and Grayvoron, two small towns just inside the border. He added that Ukrainian forces had also shelled Shebekino, damaging homes and other buildings.
A local Russia-installed official in a part of southern Kherson region held by Moscow reported on social media that a Ukrainian drone attack had injured one person.
Ukraine’s General Staff said it had recorded 22 direct attacks, 153 shelling incidents, 19 strikes by attack drones and 275 first-person-view drone strikes by Russian forces.
During a similar 30-hour Easter ceasefire agreed in 2025, each side accused the other of infringements.
Zelenskyy did not refer directly to alleged breaches in his nightly address, but said Ukraine would adhere to the ceasefire and expressed hope it could be extended.
"It would be right for the ceasefire to continue beyond this. We have made this proposal to Russia and if Russia once again chooses war instead of peace, it will show the world, and particularly the United States, who truly wants what,” he said.
In his Easter message, Putin described the holiday as the "triumph of love, good and justice".
Zelenskyy has previously proposed halting the fighting, but Moscow has rejected such initiatives, saying it is seeking a broader settlement.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment