live WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
First Lady Melania Trump has publicly denied any connection to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, dismissing speculation about their relationship and urging an end to what she described as “lies”.
In a rare appearance at the White House, the First Lady said she had never been involved with Epstein and was not among his victims. Delivering a prepared statement without taking questions, she addressed rumours circulating online and in parts of the media.
“The lies linking me with Jeffrey Epstein need to end today,” she said. “I am not his victim.”
She also rejected claims that Epstein had introduced her to her husband, Donald Trump, stating that the couple first met at a New York party in 1998. According to her account, she only later “crossed paths” with Epstein at a separate event in 2000.
Her remarks have brought fresh attention to the long-running Epstein case, which continues to draw political and public scrutiny in the United States.
Epstein, who was convicted in 2008 of offences including procuring a minor for prostitution, was later charged with sex trafficking before his death in custody in 2019, which was ruled a suicide. His network of high-profile contacts has remained a subject of intense interest.
Melania Trump said she had no knowledge of Epstein’s criminal activities at the time and denied any meaningful relationship with him or his associate, Ghislaine Maxwell.
“I have never been friends with Epstein,” she said, adding that any overlap came from attending the same social events, which she described as common in circles in New York and Palm Beach.
Addressing previously released documents, the First Lady referred to a 2002 email exchange with Maxwell, describing it as “casual correspondence” and a “trivial note”. The message, which referenced a magazine article about Epstein, has been cited in ongoing discussions about individuals linked to him, but she said it did not indicate any close relationship.
She also called on Congress to hold public hearings where Epstein’s victims could give evidence under oath, arguing that those affected should have the opportunity to speak publicly if they wish.
However, some survivors have opposed the proposal, saying they have already shared their experiences and that responsibility now lies with authorities to act on existing evidence.
The timing of the statement has prompted questions in Washington, as the issue had largely faded from headlines in recent weeks. There was little advance notice of her remarks, and it remains unclear how much detail the president had about the content beforehand.
A senior adviser said she chose to speak out because “enough is enough” and wanted to directly challenge what she considers false claims.
The intervention comes as the Trump administration faces ongoing pressure over its handling of files related to Epstein. While Donald Trump has acknowledged knowing Epstein socially in the past, he has said their relationship ended in the early 2000s.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
A potential call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has triggered sharp warnings from China, underlining once again how sensitive Taiwan remains in relations between Beijing and Washington.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
The U.S. has arrested Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the head of GAESA, a military-run business group which owns Cuba’s most profitable enterprises, including the island’s five-star hotels, and its largest port.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment