Turkish court removes opposition leader Özel citing procedural irregularities
A Turkish court has effectively removed the main opposition leader, Özgür Özel, in a ruling that has deepened political tensions and...
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the move was linked to his relationship with Poland’s conservative nationalist President, Karol Nawrocki.
“Following the successful election of President Karol Nawrocki, whom I proudly endorsed, and because of our strong relationship, I am pleased to announce that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland,” Trump wrote.
The announcement marked a sharp shift after weeks of criticism from Trump directed at NATO members over what he described as insufficient support for the U.S.-Israeli military campaign. He has previously suggested he may consider withdrawing from the alliance and questioned Washington’s obligations under NATO’s collective defence commitments.
Ahead of the NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Helsingborg, Rubio said Trump was frustrated with allies that had refused to allow the U.S. to use military bases on their territory during the conflict with Iran, specifically criticising Spain.
“You have countries like Spain denying the U.S. use of these bases, so why are they in NATO? That is a fair question,” Rubio told reporters in Miami, while adding that several other NATO members had provided support.
NATO officials have maintained that the United States did not formally request alliance participation in the Iran conflict. However, many member states have continued to permit the use of their airspace and military facilities by U.S. forces.
European governments are expected to use the Helsingborg gathering to demonstrate their willingness to contribute more actively to maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz once conditions allow. Iran has restricted shipping activity in the strategic waterway during the war.
European unease over Trump’s commitment to NATO has also intensified following earlier plans to withdraw 5,000 American troops from Europe, announced before Thursday’s decision to reinforce Poland.
It remains unclear where the additional troops destined for Poland will be redeployed from.
Meanwhile, Washington’s allies also expressed concern over conflicting messages surrounding U.S. troop movements. American officials initially indicated that forces would be withdrawn from Germany, before later said that they would delay the deployment of a brigade to Poland.
The United States has also reportedly abandoned plans to station long-range Tomahawk missiles in Germany. In addition, Reuters reported that Washington intends to inform NATO allies it will reduce the range of military capabilities it would provide to the alliance during a crisis, according to three sources familiar with the discussions.
NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, U.S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich attempted to reassure European partners this week, saying any future troop reductions would take place gradually over several years, allowing allies time to strengthen their own defence capabilities.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Lithuania on Wednesday issued an “air danger” warning urging residents to seek shelter and temporarily suspended operations at the capital’s airport amid fears that drones had entered the country’s airspace, as tensions between Russia and the Baltic states continue to escalate.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
The U.S. has arrested Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the head of GAESA, a military-run business group which owns Cuba’s most profitable enterprises, including the island’s five-star hotels, and its largest port.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
South Korean workers manufacturing chips for Samsung Electronics are set to vote on a pay deal that could see some of them receive $416,000 in bonuses.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment