U.S. moves to prevent Israel-Türkiye clash over Syria
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syr...
Iran’s top diplomat said that the next round of nuclear talks is expected in less than a week after what he described as “progress in the most serious exchanges” between Tehran and Washington. The statement follows the third round of nuclear talks on Thursday (26 February) in Geneva.
The dialogue was mediated by the Sultanate of Oman in an attempt to resolve the long-standing U.S.-Iran dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme which is dramatically spiralling towards a military escalation.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi led the Iranian delegation and the U.S. team was headed by Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff and U.S. President’s son-in-law Jared Kushner who joined the renewed talks after they were disrupted by Israel-U.S. invasion last June.
"Of course, there are still differences of opinion, which is natural. But compared to the past, more seriousness is observed on both sides to reach a negotiated solution," Araghchi told reporters after the meeting.
"It was agreed that from Monday, technical teams in Vienna and at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will begin expert reviews so that technical issues can be sorted within a specific framework which will adapted to the demands and political considerations of both sides,” IRNA state news agency quoted FM Araghchi.
The Iranian side, he said, laid out its demand for lifting sanctions and the process for their removal and both sides needed to consult with their respective capitals.
“We expressed very clearly our expectations regarding the lifting of sanctions. Consultations should take place in the capitals, and then we will have the fourth round of negotiations next week,” he added.
On the eve of talks, Araghchi met with mediator Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi on Wednesday reviewing preparations of the talks.
He submitted Iran’s proposal on a nuclear agreement to his Omani counterpart which was relayed to the U.S. side.
Earlier this week in an interview with CBS, he said Tehran was working on core elements of a draft text that includes provisions accommodating the concerns and interests of both sides.
Earlier, he said in a series of posts on social media X that Iran and U.S. “have (an) historic opportunity to strike “as soon as possible an unprecedented, fair and equitable deal”.
Prior to his departure to Geneva, he stressed in an interview with India Today TV, that “Iran is ready for both war and peace” to safeguard its right to civilian nuclear programme under the Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
He was referring to Washington’s military buildup in the region to pressure Tehran to a deal or face the risks of another U.S. invasion after it bombed Iran’s nuclear sites last June during a 12-day war.
Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Grossi who spoke with Araghchi by phone this week participated in the Geneva talks.
Grossi has said previously that an “obvious gap” exists between Iran and U.S. over uranium enrichment.
U.S. officials demand “zero enrichment” but the Iranian side regards this as a “red line” for the country and an inherent and non-negotiable right under NPT.
“Uranium enrichment is a matter of dignity and pride and we will not abandon it. Iran is a member of NPT and has every right to enjoy peaceful nuclear energy including enrichment” Araghchi told CBS.
President Masoud Pezeshkian has said that there are encouraging signals in the renewed mediated talks between Iran and Washington, stressing unity to overcome the country’s enemies.
In a meeting with political figures and businessmen during a visit to the Caspian Sea province of Mazandaran on Wednesday, he stated, “We see a promising outlook regarding the talks.”
Last week, he said in a post on X social media that talks with the U.S. have “yielded encouraging signals” stressing Iran’s readiness “for any potential scenario”.
Today’s (26 February) nuclear negotiations in Geneva which followed the 6 February meeting in Oman and 17 February talks in Switzerland were regarded as an historic and decisive opportunity to strike a deal and avert a military standoff.
Iran has vowed that it would retaliate any U.S. attack as an “act of aggression” warning that its backlash will spill over to the region as it will attack U.S. bases and interests in the surrounding countries as “legitimate targets”.
The Ground Forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) staged a large-scale combined drill along Iran’s southern coastline on Tuesday with combat and support units taking part.
IRGC commanders described the drill codenamed “Combined Exercise 1404” as an example of how emerging technologies are being incorporated into ground warfare to improve precision, mobility, and coordination on the battlefield.
The wargame was held on the eve of the nuclear talks amid escalation of tensions and speculation of war between Tehran and Washington following the U.S. buildup of military assets in the region.
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has strongly warned against U.S. military build-up for a war with Iran and also slammed the U.S. determining outcome of the nuclear negotiations.
"Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware. However, more dangerous than that warship is the weapon that can send that warship to the bottom of the sea,” he said in a public meeting last week.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment