Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
British serial killer Steve Wright has received a 40-year minimum sentence for murdering 17-year-old Victoria Hall in 1999, a crime he admitted for the first time this week.
Steve Wright, known as the Suffolk strangler, admitted at the Old Bailey that he kidnapped and murdered Victoria Hall in 1999 and attempted to abduct Emily Doherty the night before.
Prosecutor Jocelyn Ledward said Wright had been “on the prowl” in Suffolk during the September weekend of the crimes and remained “undeterred” after Doherty managed to escape him.
Hall disappeared on her way home from a nightclub in Felixstowe, and her body was found five days later in a stream outside the town.
Judge Joel Bennathan told Wright: “For reasons only you know and most people will never start to comprehend, you snatched her away and you crushed that young life.”
He added that the 40-year term would make little difference because “it is well-nigh certain you will die in prison.”
The case closes one of Suffolk’s long unresolved crimes, uncovered decades after Wright was convicted in 2008 of killing five women in Ipswich.
Those victims were found across the town over a 10-day period, two arranged in crucifix positions, in what the court later called “a targeted campaign of murder”. Wright’s whole-life order ensures he will never be released.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment