live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
Ukraine has agreed with Western partners on a plan under which repeated Russian violations of any future ceasefire would trigger swift, co-ordinated military responses by Europe and the United States, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.
The multi-tiered enforcement framework, discussed in December and January between Ukrainian, European and American officials, is intended to deter Russia from breaching a potential armistice, according to people briefed on the discussions.
Under the proposal, any Russian violation would prompt a response within 24 hours, starting with a diplomatic warning. If the breach continued, Ukrainian forces would be authorised to act to halt the violation, the newspaper said.
If hostilities persisted beyond that stage, a second phase would involve intervention by forces from the so-called “coalition of the willing”, which includes several European Union members as well as the United Kingdom, Norway, Iceland and Türkiye.
In the event of a wider escalation, a co-ordinated response by a Western-backed force incorporating US military involvement would be triggered 72 hours after the initial breach, according to the report.
Envoys from Kyiv, Moscow and Washington are scheduled to meet in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday and Thursday for talks aimed at ending the war, the Financial Times said. Reuters could not immediately verify the report.
Separately, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte has arrived in Kyiv and is due to meet Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, a Financial Times correspondent said in a post on X.
Rutte’s reported visit comes after Russia launched an overnight attack involving about 450 drones and more than 60 missiles.
Russia and Ukraine said last week they had halted strikes on each other’s energy infrastructure, but disagreed on the timeframe for the truce.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Jeffrey D. Sachs, an economist, public policy analyst, Columbia University professor, and UN advisor, said Azerbaijan and the wider South Caucasus could become one of the world’s key strategic connectors in an emerging multipolar order.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment