live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
The Kremlin has confirmed that the next round of trilateral talks between Ukraine, Russia and the United States will be held in Abu Dhabi on 4–5 February, after the meeting was postponed last week to align the schedules of all delegations.
Speaking at a press briefing on Monday in Moscow, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said the second round of discussions, originally planned for 1 February, was postponed to “adjust the schedules of all participants” but will now take place on Wednesday and Thursday. He described the negotiation process as “complex” and “multidirectional”, noting that while some issues have seen progress, others remain far harder to resolve.
Peskov avoided giving any measure of progress, saying only that common ground had been found on certain points, while other areas still lacked “rapprochement”. He also declined to clarify the current status of the informal “energy truce”, reiterating that Moscow had already agreed to a request from Donald Trump not to strike Ukraine’s energy infrastructure to support conditions for the talks.
Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced on Sunday that the Abu Dhabi sessions had been rescheduled for 4–5 February, describing the first round in January as constructive.
Peskov again said Russia remains open to dialogue, repeating the Kremlin’s longstanding position that any meeting between Zelenskyy and Vladimir Putin would have to take place in Moscow. He said work by the negotiating groups was continuing and welcomed efforts to maintain momentum.
Rising tensions
He also confirmed that Russian envoy Kirill Dmitriev’s recent visit to Miami was linked to economic discussions with the United States, noting that Dmitriev chairs the working group on bilateral economic interaction.
Commenting on rising tensions between Washington and Tehran, Peskov said Moscow was continuing its contacts with all sides and stood ready to help reduce the risk of escalation.
On France, Peskov called the idea of establishing a dedicated communication channel with Moscow “sound”, but said there was still no clarity on possible contact between the two leaders.
Asked whether Russia was in talks with the United States and Iran over transferring enriched uranium from Iran to Russian territory, he said the issue had been on the agenda for years, and consultations with all parties were ongoing.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment