Russian strikes kill two in Ukraine as Kyiv drones target central Russia
Russian attacks killed two people and injured 19 across Ukraine overnight, local officials said on Wednesday, while K...
A SpaceX capsule departed the International Space Station on Wednesday carrying a four-member crew on an emergency return flight to Earth necessitated by an undisclosed serious medical condition afflicting one of the astronauts aboard.
The Crew Dragon capsule carrying two U.S. NASA astronauts, a Japanese crewmate and a Russian cosmonaut undocked from the space station and began its descent from orbit at about 5:20 p.m. EST (2220 GMT). It was headed for a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean off the California coast early on Thursday.
This marks the first time NASA has cut short the mission of an ISS crew because of a health emergency.
If all goes as planned, the capsule dubbed Endeavor will parachute into the sea following a return flight of about 10-1/2 hours, capped by a fiery re-entry through Earth's atmosphere, concluding a 167-day mission.
Live video from a NASA webcast of the departure showed the capsule separating from the ISS and drifting away from the orbiting laboratory as the two vehicles soared some 260 miles (418 km) over the Earth south of Australia.
The astronauts were seen strapped into the crew cabin, seated side by side and wearing their helmeted white and black space suits as the undocking proceeded.
The plan to bring all four members of Crew-11 home a few weeks ahead of schedule was announced 8 January, with NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman saying one of the astronauts faced a "serious medical condition" that required immediate medical attention on the ground.
NASA officials have not identified which of the four crew members was experiencing a medical issue or described its nature, citing privacy concerns.
The crew consists of U.S. astronauts Zena Cardman, 38, and Mike Fincke, 58, Japanese astronaut Kimiya Yui, 55, and Russian cosmonaut Oleg Platonov, 39. They arrived at the space station following a launch to orbit from Florida in August.
Fincke, a retired Air Force colonel who was the station's designated commander, and Cardman, a rookie astronaut and geobiologist assigned as flight engineer, had been scheduled to conduct a six-hour-plus spacewalk last week to install hardware outside the station. The spacewalk was cancelled on 7 January over what NASA then characterised as a "medical concern" with an astronaut.
NASA Chief Health and Medical Officer James Polk later said the medical emergency did not involve "an injury that occurred in the pursuit of operations."
In an Instagram post a few days ago, Fincke, wrapping up the fifth space mission of his NASA career, wrote that the four members of Crew-11 "are all OK," adding, "Everyone on board is stable, and well cared for."
"This was a deliberate decision to allow the right medical evaluations to happen on the ground, where the full range of diagnostic capability exists. It’s the right call, even if it’s a bit bittersweet," Fincke wrote.
Crew-12, the 12th regular crew rotation mission flown by SpaceX to the ISS, is expected to launch in mid-February with four more astronauts. In the meantime, the space station remains occupied by NASA astronaut Christopher Williams and two cosmonauts who flew to the ISS aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft in November.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Russian attacks killed two people and injured 19 across Ukraine overnight, local officials said on Wednesday, while Kyiv launched drone strikes targeting industrial sites in central Russia.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s (DRC) national football team will be allowed to enter the U.S. for the 2026 World Cup, despite a travel ban on visitors from the country due to an Ebola outbreak.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 20th May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
China and Russia's leaders lauded on Wednesday the progress in their strategic ties, as they met in Beijing for summit talks where Moscow is expected to push for stronger energy links.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment