live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
The UK government will introduce a new criminal offence this week targeting the creation of non-consensual intimate images, Technology Secretary Liz Kendall announced on Monday, amid growing concerns over artificial intelligence (AI)-generated deepfakes.
The announcement follows an investigation into X’s AI chatbot, Grok, which has reportedly been used to produce sexualised images of individuals without their consent. Under the new rules, X will be legally required to remove such content.
Kendall described the AI-generated sexualised images as “weapons of abuse” and said recent deepfakes circulating on the platform were “vile” and illegal. Speaking in Parliament, she noted that the Online Safety Act already makes sharing intimate images without consent a criminal offence for individuals and platforms alike.
She added that the Data Act, passed last year, criminalises the creation or commissioning of non-consensual intimate images. The government will now bring this offence into force and designate it a priority under the Online Safety Act.
The UK’s communications regulator Ofcom has opened a formal investigation into X, examining whether the platform has met obligations under the Online Safety Act. The review will assess whether the company has properly evaluated the risk of UK users encountering illegal content and whether risk assessments were updated before making significant service changes.
Kendall said the government’s action aimed to protect users and make platforms accountable for AI-generated content that could be used to harass or abuse individuals.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Small businesses across Russia are increasingly feeling the impact of tighter internet restrictions, including limits on the messaging app Telegram, stricter controls on virtual private networks, and repeated mobile internet outages.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment