live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
Taiwanese authorities confirmed on Saturday that a series of planned knife and smoke-grenade attacks in Taipei left three people dead and 11 others injured. The suspect, identified as 27-year-old Chang Wen, died after falling from a department store building following the assaults on Friday.
Authorities said the attacks began at around 3:40 p.m. local time, when Chang set fires at multiple locations, including roads, vehicles, and his residence. He then moved to Taipei Main metro station, where he threw smoke grenades near two exits and fatally stabbed one person.
After briefly returning to his hotel via an underground passage, Chang continued the assaults outside the Eslite Spectrum Nanxi department store, using more smoke grenades and a knife to fatally wound another individual. He also stabbed a third person on the fourth floor of the department store before jumping from the fifth floor, resulting in his own death.
Chang Jung-Hsin, director-general of the National Police Agency, said the suspect had carefully planned the attacks and had visited the sites in advance. Authorities emphasised that the smoke grenades used could be purchased online and confirmed that the assaults were carried out independently.
Investigators are still working to determine Chang’s motive. He had previously served in the military but was discharged for drunk driving and had been wanted since July for failing to report for service. Officials noted that he had not contacted his family in over two years and had long-standing interests in guns and weapons.
The attacks have shaken Taipei, a city where violent crime is rare, prompting authorities to increase security at crowded areas and major events, including the New Year’s Eve countdown, which typically draws large numbers of locals and tourists.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Jeffrey D. Sachs, an economist, public policy analyst, Columbia University professor, and UN advisor, said Azerbaijan and the wider South Caucasus could become one of the world’s key strategic connectors in an emerging multipolar order.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment