What we know about Trump's Board of Peace
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an in...
Austria’s public broadcaster ORF, which is hosting the Eurovision Song Contest next year, has said it will not block Palestinian flags in the audience or suppress crowd reactions during Israel’s performance.
Speaking in Vienna on Tuesday, executives from ORF (Österreichischer Rundfunk) said that the network would present events as they happen, even if Israel’s performance is met with boos.
ORF’s director of programming, Stefanie Groiss-Horowitz, said artificial applause would not be used to mask audience reactions, while executive producer Michael Kroen confirmed that all official flags would be allowed, provided they meet local legal and security requirements.
In previous Eurovision contests, audience boos during Israel’s performance were often minimised or drowned out in the television broadcast, a practice criticised by viewers and broadcasters
The 70th edition of Eurovision, due to take place in Vienna in May, will feature 35 countries — the lowest number since 2003 — after five broadcasters, including those from Spain, Ireland and the Netherlands, announced a boycott in protest at Israel’s participation.
Critics say taking part would be inappropriate given the scale of civilian deaths in Gaza following Israel’s military response to the Hamas attacks of 7 October, 2023.
Eurovision organisers say their aim is to provide an accurate reflection of events inside the arena. Last year’s contest drew about 166 million viewers worldwide, according to the European Broadcasting Union.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 17th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
Qarabağ FK are facing Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg was pressed for answers in a Los Angeles courtroom as a youth social media addiction case probed how far Meta went in shaping young users’ behaviour on Wednesday.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday sought to highlight his outreach to Black Americans during a White House reception marking Black History Month, held months before November’s midterm elections.
Hungary has suspended diesel fuel deliveries to Ukraine with immediate effect and will not resume shipments until crude oil transit via the Druzhba pipeline is restored, said Peter Szijjarto, Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
A platoon of Swedish Air Force Rangers is training in Greenland as part of the ongoing “Arctic Endurance” exercise, according to Sweden’s military.
U.S.-mediated talks between Russia and Ukraine in Geneva ended after two days of negotiations that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described as difficult, while signalling progress on the military track.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment