U.S. and South Korea cut military drills to five days after Trump orders reduction
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to sub...
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to skip a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels next week, two U.S. officials told reporters, marking a highly unusual absence for the top American diplomat at a major transatlantic gathering.
Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau will represent Washington instead, according to one of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter.
Timing and Context
It remains unclear why Rubio plans to skip the 3 December meeting, and his plans could change at the last moment. However, the likely absence comes at a critical time as U.S. and Ukrainian officials work to narrow differences over President Donald Trump’s controversial plan to end Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Some European diplomats have expressed concern that they are being excluded from the process.
Typically, NATO holds two formal meetings of foreign ministers per year, and it is exceedingly rare for a U.S. secretary of state to be absent. In 2017, during Trump’s first term, then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson initially planned to skip an April meeting, though it was later rescheduled to accommodate his schedule.
Official Statements
A State Department spokesperson declined to comment on Rubio’s potential absence, but noted that the NATO alliance had been “completely revitalised” during the Trump administration.
“The historic foreign policy achievements in just 10 months of this Administration speak for themselves,” the spokesperson said.
A NATO official deferred to the United States regarding Rubio’s attendance but added that it was not unusual for some foreign ministers to miss the event.
Concerns Over Ukraine and European Security
Ukrainian and European officials have voiced concerns about being pressured into a deal perceived as overly favourable to Russian interests, especially after a draft 28-point plan to end the war was leaked on 18 November.
Rubio’s absence raises questions over Washington’s commitment to European security, which has faced scrutiny in recent years.
Landau, the deputy U.S. diplomat attending in Rubio’s place, previously questioned the need for NATO in a June post on X, which he later deleted. While Trump reaffirmed his support for NATO during a summit in June, he has also consistently urged member states to increase defence spending, saying the U.S. will no longer “bail them out.”
Additional Developments in Ukraine
The absence occurs at a sensitive moment for Ukraine. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, resigned on Friday, shortly after anti-corruption agents searched his home.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment