live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
A deadly explosion involving a Tesla Cybertruck rocked the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas, killing the driver and injuring several others. The FBI is now probing the incident for possible terrorist connections, following a similar attack in New Orleans.
A Tesla Cybertruck exploded outside the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas on Wednesday, killing the driver and injuring seven others. The FBI is investigating the blast as a potential act of terrorism, particularly following a similar incident in New Orleans, where a truck attack killed 15 people. Eyewitness videos captured the explosion, sending flames and smoke into the air, and authorities later discovered burned canisters inside the truck, suggesting explosives may have been involved.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed on social media that the explosion was caused by large fireworks or a bomb in the truck’s bed, not the vehicle itself, and stated that "all vehicle telemetry was positive at the time."
The Cybertruck had been rented through a car-sharing service, and while the driver’s identity remains undisclosed, the FBI and local police are investigating potential links between the Las Vegas and New Orleans incidents. U.S. President Joe Biden commented, “We’re tracking the explosion of a Cybertruck outside the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas. Law enforcement and the intelligence community are investigating this as well, including whether there’s any possible connection with the attack in New Orleans. Thus far there's nothing to report on that score at this time."
Las Vegas Police Sheriff Kevin McMahill stated, “The question is, is there any links to ISIS? And I will tell you that we don't have any indication of that here in Las Vegas. No overt ISIS flag, as we've seen in New Orleans. But again, we are investigating every aspect of this.”
The explosion occurred just hours after the New Orleans attack, raising concerns about a possible coordinated effort. As investigations continue, the connection between the two events and the underlying motives remain unclear.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment