Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
U.S. President Donald Trump purchased at least $82 million in corporate and municipal bonds between late August and early October, including new investments in sectors benefiting from his policies, according to financial disclosures made public on Saturday.
The documents, released by the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, revealed that Trump made over 175 financial purchases from August 28 to October 2. These disclosures, filed under the 1978 Ethics in Government Act, do not provide exact amounts for each purchase but offer a broad range of values.
The total maximum value of the bond purchases exceeded $337 million, according to the filings. Most of the listed assets consist of bonds issued by municipalities, states, counties, school districts, and other entities linked to public agencies.
Trump's new bond investments span several sectors, including industries that have benefited from, or are benefiting from, his administration's policy changes, such as financial deregulation. Among the corporate bonds Trump acquired were offerings from chipmakers like Broadcom and Qualcomm, tech companies such as Meta Platforms, retailers like Home Depot and CVS Health, and Wall Street banks including Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley.
Trump also purchased debt from investment banks, including bonds from JP Morgan in late August. On Friday, Trump requested the U.S. Justice Department to investigate JP Morgan over its connections to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The bank has stated it regrets its past associations with Epstein and denies any involvement in his crimes.
Additionally, Trump acquired bonds from Intel after the U.S. government, under his direction, took a stake in the company.
The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The administration has previously stated that Trump continues to file mandatory disclosures about his investments, but that neither he nor his family manage the portfolio, which is overseen by a third-party financial institution.
Trump, who made his fortune in real estate before entering politics, has said he placed his companies in a trust managed by his children.
U.S. stocks ended mixed on Friday, with the Dow falling by about two-thirds of a percent, the S&P 500 closing nearly flat, and the Nasdaq edging up slightly.
An August disclosure indicated that Trump had purchased more than $100 million in bonds since returning to the presidency on January 20. His annual disclosure form, filed in June, showed that income from his various ventures still ultimately benefits him, raising concerns about potential conflicts of interest. In that annual filing, which likely covered the 2024 calendar year, Trump reported more than $600 million in income from cryptocurrencies, golf properties, licensing, and other business ventures. The document also revealed that his cryptocurrency investments had significantly increased his wealth.
Trump’s June disclosure listed assets worth at least $1.6 billion, according to a Reuters calculation at the time.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment