live Iran condemns U.S. plans to announce new sanctions
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Repub...
A Cameroonian-flagged tanker caught fire on Saturday in the Gulf of Aden off Yemen, leaving at least one mariner missing and another likely still aboard, officials said. The rest of the crew abandoned the vessel.
The cause of the blaze on the Falcon tanker remains unclear. British officials suggested the ship may have been struck by a projectile, while the European Union described the fire as “an accident.” Authorities warned that the fully loaded liquefied petroleum gas tanker could explode, posing further risks to nearby shipping.
The incident occurs amid ongoing attacks on vessels by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea corridor. The group has not immediately claimed responsibility for the Falcon incident, though such claims can take hours or days.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported the fire occurred around 210 kilometres east of Aden, stating: “A vessel has been hit by an unknown projectile, resulting in a fire. Authorities are investigating.”
According to the EU’s Operation Aspides, the Falcon’s 26-member crew was mostly Indian, with one Ukrainian. Greek and French naval forces responded, with a Greek frigate nearby and a French aircraft monitoring the scene. The EU said roughly 15% of the ship was on fire and initially indicated it may have been caused by an accident.
The Falcon has previously been linked to Iran’s “ghost fleet,” according to the New York-based group United Against Nuclear Iran, although the ship’s Indian owners could not be reached for comment. The Israeli military confirmed awareness of the strike but denied involvement.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
The European Union’s Civil Protection Mechanism sent helicopters and firefighters to help Serbia fight a massive wildfire in a nature reserve in the northeast of the country, the head of the European Union mission to Belgrade said.
TikTok and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, have agreed to pay $400 million to settle U.S. government allegations that the popular video-sharing app failed to properly protect children’s privacy.
Poland has sharply criticised Israel’s handling of an investigation into the killing of Polish aid worker Damian Sobol, saying the decision to end proceedings has deepened concerns over accountability for the Israeli military’s conduct in Gaza.
Ukrainian drone attacks across Russia and Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine killed at least 10 people, Russian officials said, while Russian air defences shot down six drones flying toward Moscow early Sunday.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment