live Russia says drone attack damages logistics hub in Samara region
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, accordin...
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said on Saturday that he had a call with U.S. President Donald Trump where he congratulated him on the Gaza ceasefire deal calling it an "outstanding achievement".
Zelenskyy in a post made via his X account also said that he informed President Trump of Russia's latest bombardment in Kyiv which left one child dead and about 20 people injured.
Much of Kyiv was also plunged into darkness in the drone and missile strikes which targeted energy systems in the capital on Friday.
"I informed President Trump about Russia’s attacks on our energy system—and I appreciate his willingness to support us.
We discussed opportunities to bolster our air defense, as well as concrete agreements that we are working on to ensure this." he said.
He expressed hope that Trump would "stop other wars...including the Russian war" while repeating his call for Moscow to be "ready to engage in real diplomacy".
He went on to say that work will continue on sanction packages, coordinated with Ukraine's partners, in a bid to force Russia to the negotiating table.
Zelenskyy said he valued that Ukrainian proposals regarding sanctions are taken into account by partners when they prepare their packages.
Since June of this year alone, eight sanction packages have been implemented within Ukraine against Russia including aligned sanctions with the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Japan, and all EU sanction packages.
In total, 281 individuals and 633 legal entities have been included, and they are significant actors. Zelenskyy also added that a 19th EU sanction package was underway.
"Today, we synchronized sanctions with Japan—I signed the relevant decree. The sanctions list includes CEOs and companies that generate profits for Russia’s war machine, supply weapons, critical components, and equipment." he said.
As he ended his statement, he thanked President Trump for his efforts and everyone who is helping Ukraine.
President Trump had earlier expressed his disappointment with Vladmir Putin as the war with Ukraine rages on, adding that it might prove more difficult than the middle east to secure a ceasefire.
Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov had said in the past that Russia was ready to continue peace talks with Ukraine but also said the agenda for that meeting was not yet ready.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Around 70 bodies are expected to be buried as families continue to search for missing relatives.
One person was killed and three others injured on Friday when an 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked students at a school in Fagersta, central Sweden, before police shot and detained him.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment