live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Tunisia on Wednesday described a drone strike on a ship at Sidi Bou Said port as “orchestrated” after organizers of the Global Sumud Flotilla reported one of their vessels was targeted while preparing to deliver aid to Gaza.
The flotilla aims to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade.
There were no injuries reported in the attack. Civil protection authorities brought a fire on the boat under control.
The Tunisian Interior Ministry said it is conducting an investigation into the incident but did not blame any specific party.
The United Nations’ Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories, Francesca Albanese, called the strike “an attack against Tunisian sovereignty.”
Thousands of Tunisians gathered on the beaches of Sidi Bou Said to support the pro-Palestinian activists.
The flotilla includes hundreds of participants and dozens of vessels, with delegations from 44 countries, including Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and Portuguese politician Mariana Mortagua.
Israel has maintained a blockade on the Strip since Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007, saying it is needed to prevent weapons smuggling.
The current war began when Hamas attacked southern Israel in October 2023, killing 1,200 and taking about 250 hostages, Israeli tallies showed.
Israel's subsequent military assault against Hamas has killed more than 64,000 Palestinians, Gaza's health ministry has said, while a global hunger monitor said Gazans are suffering from famine.
Israel sealed off Gaza in early March, letting in no supplies for three months, leading to the widespread shortage of food. Israel has said Hamas was diverting the aid. USAID has said it's found no evidence of any aid being diverted.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment