Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
President Donald Trump on Tuesday rejected viral social media claims about his health, saying he had been “very active” over the Labor Day weekend.
Asked in the Oval Office whether he was aware of reports of his supposed demise, Trump replied: “Really? I didn’t see that. You know, I have heard it’s sort of crazy. But last week I did numerous news conferences, all successful. They went very well, like this is going very well. And then I didn’t do any for two days and they said, there must be something wrong with him.”
He went on to accuse the media of double standards: “Biden wouldn’t do them for months. You wouldn’t see him. And nobody ever said there was ever anything wrong with him. And we know he was in the greatest of shape.”
Trump pointed to his interviews, social media activity, and a visit to his Virginia golf club as evidence that he was in good health. “No, I was very active over the weekend. They also knew I went out to visit some people at the club that I own pretty nearby on the Potomac River. And now I’ve been very active actually over the weekend. I didn’t hear that one. That’s pretty serious. I’m glad it’s… well, it’s fake news, you know. It’s just so… it’s so fake. That’s why the media has so little credibility.”
Health concerns about Trump first emerged in July, when photos revealed swelling in his ankles and bruising on his hand. White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt confirmed he had “swelling in his lower legs” and makeup covering part of his hand.
White House physician Sean Barbabella later explained that tests showed the swelling was due to chronic venous insufficiency, a common and benign condition in older adults. The bruising, he added, was consistent with minor soft tissue irritation from frequent handshaking and aspirin use, which Trump takes as part of a cardiovascular prevention regimen.
Since then, officials have downplayed the issue, stressing that Trump, 79, remains in good health as the oldest person to assume the U.S. presidency.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment