Israeli strike kills six in Gaza as Trump peace plan stalls
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, according to Palestinian health officials, as efforts by U.S. Pres...
Donald Trump said he is open to new talks with North Korea and trade renegotiations with Seoul, despite lashing out at South Korea’s leadership during President Lee Jae Myung’s visit to Washington on Monday.
Trump made the remarks as he welcomed Lee to the Oval Office for high-stakes talks, marking the South Korean president’s first visit to Washington since taking office in June following a snap election. Lee replaced Yoon Suk Yeol, who was removed after impeachment proceedings related to a failed martial law attempt in December.
Moments before the bilateral meeting, Trump accused Seoul’s leadership of mishandling the fallout of the political crisis, a move that cast a shadow over the visit.
Lee, seeking to maintain strong ties with Washington, praised Trump and expressed hope that the U.S. would resume dialogue with Pyongyang.
"I'd like to have a meeting," Trump told reporters when asked about future talks with Kim.
Trump also said he was open to negotiating elements of the existing U.S.-South Korea trade agreement, which he has previously criticised as imbalanced.
South Korea’s economy remains deeply tied to the U.S., both through trade and security guarantees, with nearly 30,000 American troops stationed on the peninsula. Trump has long accused Seoul of benefiting disproportionately from U.S. military support, once calling the country a “money machine” that takes advantage of Washington’s protection.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment