Two killed in Israeli attack on first day of Ramadan in Gaza
Two Palestinians were killed on the first day of Ramadan after Israeli forces opened fire in the Gaza Strip, according to local sources and hospital o...
The United Kingdom has sanctioned four more high-ranking Georgian officials for their role in allowing serious human rights violations in response to legitimate protests in Georgia since 2024.
"With today’s action, the UK is the first state to sanction Georgia’s General Prosecutor and the Head of the Special Investigatory Service for failing in their positions to properly investigate those responsible for serious violence," - said in a statement of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.
Last year saw a series of public protests erupt across the country, triggered by the actions of Georgia’s ruling party, Georgian Dream. In response, the authorities began an aggressive crackdown on demonstrations, attacking and arbitrarily detaining members of civil society, media and opposition figures.
Individuals sanctioned today are:
Giorgi Gabitashvili, General Prosecutor,
Karlo Katsitadze, Head of the Special Investigatory Service,
Shalva Bedoidze, First Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs of Georgia,
Mirza Kezevadze, Deputy Chief of the Special Task Department.
All four are excluded from the UK and its economy through UK travel bans and asset freezes.
The statement said that these measures support the UK Government’s work internationally to protect human rights, to reduce global instability and deter threats to UK national security – one of the foundations of the Prime Minister’s Plan for Change.
Since the beginning of this year, Georgia’s ruling party – Georgian Dream – has attempted to push through legislation for a series of new repressive laws which critics say will be used to silence civil society and opposition parties, with the prospect of hefty prison sentences for non-compliance.
Today’s announcement adds to UK sanctions against five Georgian officials in December for their roles in the violent attacks against demonstrators, media and opposition figures. Georgia’s Minister for Interior, his deputy and Director of the Tbilisi Police Department were among five individuals sanctioned for violating human rights in Georgia.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed two people in 12 hours, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
Two Palestinians were killed on the first day of Ramadan after Israeli forces opened fire in the Gaza Strip, according to local sources and hospital officials.
British Steel has secured a multi-million-pound order to supply rail for a major high-speed railway in Türkiye. Backed by UK Export Finance, the deal will see 36,000 tonnes of rail used on a 599km line between Ankara and İzmir, prompting the company to resume round-the-clock production.
A new freight corridor linking China with Tajikistan via Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan has entered pilot operation, marking another step in Central Asia’s expanding transport connectivity.
Afghan and Uzbek traders have signed 25 agreements worth more than $300 million at a business conference, as officials from both sides said trade ties are expanding rapidly and could grow further in the coming years.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will attend the inaugural meeting of U.S. President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington on Thursday, representing President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Türkiye’s Foreign Ministry has said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment