Israel, Colombia announce mutual visa exemption from September
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and econom...
The United States is preparing to launch a new round of Venezuela-related operations in the coming days, as President Donald Trump’s administration intensifies efforts to pressure President Nicolás Maduro’s government and targets what it calls Venezuela’s role in the regional drug trade.
Four U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Trump administration is poised to initiate a new phase of operations against Venezuela, signalling a possible escalation of covert and military activity in the Caribbean.
While the exact scope and timing of the operations remain unclear, two officials said covert actions would likely mark the first stage, adding that the plan has been under development for several weeks.
A senior administration official said on Saturday that the president “is prepared to use every element of American power to stop drugs from flooding into our country and to bring those responsible to justice.”
The Pentagon referred all questions to the White House, and the CIA declined to comment, underscoring the secrecy surrounding Washington’s next steps.
Escalating pressure and military buildup
Relations between Washington and Caracas have sharply deteriorated in recent months, with the U.S. military reinforcing its presence in the Caribbean. The USS Gerald R. Ford, America’s largest aircraft carrier, arrived in the region on November 16, accompanied by at least seven warships, a nuclear submarine, and F-35 aircraft.
Officially, U.S. forces are conducting counter-narcotics operations, but the scale of deployment — and the 21 recent strikes on alleged drug boats that have left at least 83 people dead — has raised alarm among human rights groups and some U.S. allies. Critics warn the operations risk violating international law and could mark a prelude to direct military intervention.
Trump has accused Maduro of leading the Cartel de los Soles, an alleged drug trafficking network, and plans to designate it a foreign terrorist organisation on Monday. The move would grant the United States broader powers to target Venezuela’s assets and infrastructure.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said last week that the designation “brings a whole bunch of new options to the United States.”
Maduro’s response and resistance strategy
Maduro, who has ruled since 2013, has dismissed U.S. allegations and accused Washington of seeking to overthrow his government. He has warned that Venezuelans — including the armed forces — would resist any invasion.
Venezuelan military documents reviewed by Reuters suggest that Caracas has planned a “prolonged resistance” strategy in the event of U.S. intervention, relying on small mobile units to conduct sabotage and guerrilla-style operations from more than 280 sites across the country.
Maduro’s forces are widely seen as under-equipped and demoralised. Reports indicate some commanders have resorted to bartering with local food producers to feed their troops amid chronic shortages and economic collapse.
Diplomatic and intelligence dimensions
Despite heightened tensions, two U.S. officials confirmed that channels of communication remain open between Caracas and Washington. It is unclear whether these contacts could delay or reshape the pending operations.
The United States has also doubled its reward for information leading to Maduro’s arrest to $50 million, underscoring the administration’s determination to isolate him.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a warning to airlines on Friday about a “potentially hazardous situation” over Venezuelan airspace, urging carriers to exercise caution. Following the notice, three international airlines — Gol, Avianca, and TAP Air Portugal — cancelled flights departing from Caracas on Saturday.
Human rights concerns
Human rights organisations have criticised the intensifying U.S. strategy, warning that the use of lethal force in counter-narcotics missions could lead to civilian casualties. Some Western allies have also voiced unease that Washington’s actions could escalate instability across the region.
Still, officials close to the Trump administration argue that the measures are necessary to curb the influence of what they call “narco-terrorism” emanating from Venezuela.
“President Trump will act decisively to protect American lives and restore stability in the hemisphere,” one senior U.S. official said.
As anticipation builds over possible U.S. action, Caracas has moved to tighten security and mobilise loyalist militias. For now, both sides appear to be bracing for a confrontation — one that could determine the next chapter of Venezuela’s long-running political and economic crisis.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and economic relations following years of tensions over the war in Gaza.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
The United States imposed fresh sanctions on Hezbollah on Thursday, redesignating the Lebanese group over what Washington described as its actions on behalf of the Iranian government and targeting 10 people accused of moving cash for the group.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment