European offer to delay Iran sanctions remains ‘on the table’
Britain, France, and Germany have confirmed that their proposal to extend the Iran nuclear deal and delay the reimposition of UN sanctions for 30 days...
At least 20 people were killed and more than 50 injured after a suicide bomber attacked a church in central Damascus, Syria’s capital, on Sunday, officials confirmed.
The attack took place during a service at the Mar Elias Greek Orthodox Church in the Dweila neighbourhood. According to Syria’s interior ministry, the assailant, identified as a member of ISIL, entered the church, opened fire, and then detonated his explosive vest. A second man was reportedly involved but his fate remains unclear.
This marks the first suicide bombing in Damascus since Bashar al-Assad was ousted by an Islamist-led rebel coalition in December. The incident highlights the persistent threat posed by ISIL despite the group’s territorial defeat.
The health ministry reported 52 people were injured in the blast. A livestream from the scene by Syria’s civil defence, the White Helmets, showed extensive damage inside the church, including bloodstained floors and shattered masonry.
ISIL has previously attempted attacks on churches in Syria, but this is the first successful strike since Assad's removal. A security source told Reuters the group had intensified its focus on religious minorities in recent months.
President Ahmed al-Sharaa, who assumed power in January for a transitional period, condemned the attack and reiterated his commitment to protecting minority communities.
The Greek foreign ministry also issued a statement, denouncing the bombing as "abhorrent" and urging Syrian transitional authorities to take swift action to secure all religious groups.
ISIL had carried out similar attacks in the past, notably the 2016 bombing targeting Shiite pilgrims in Sayeda Zainab, one of the deadliest incidents during Assad’s rule.
The latest bombing raises concerns over ongoing security lapses and the resurgence of extremist violence in the post-Assad era.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Friday that his government is considering reciprocal tariffs on U.S. goods after Washington imposed a 50% duty on Brazilian imports earlier this month.
Türkiye has decided to bar Israeli vessels from using its ports, forbid Turkish ships from using Israeli ports and impose restrictions on planes entering Turkish airspace, Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Friday(August 29).
Russia has supported Azerbaijan and Armenia’s decision to dissolve the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk Group, stating that the structure will be terminated by the end of 2025.
The Israeli military announced on Friday that Gaza City will no longer be covered by its limited daily humanitarian pause, citing the area as a "dangerous combat zone."
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is highlighting Türkiye’s push for homegrown air defence, as the country develops new systems and deepens defence ties internationally.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment