U.S. envoy's Israel remarks draw regional condemnation
Comments by U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee suggesting that Israel had a biblical right to much of the Middle East drew condemnation over the ...
U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to cut $2.5 billion in annual aid to Afghanistan unless the Taliban returns military equipment left behind during the U.S. withdrawal. The demand raises tensions as humanitarian groups warn of disruptions to aid efforts in the region.
US President Donald Trump has tied Washington’s ongoing financial assistance to Afghanistan to the recovery of military equipment left behind in the country following the US withdrawal.
Speaking on the matter, President Trump highlighted that the US provides $2.5 billion annually in aid to Afghanistan and warned that this assistance would be halted unless the weapons and military gear abandoned during the withdrawal are returned to the United States.
Since the Taliban regained control of Afghanistan in 2021, the United States has remained the largest provider of humanitarian aid to the country. According to a Voice of America report, the US has contributed approximately $3 billion in aid by early 2025. This assistance, channeled through the United Nations and various non-governmental organizations, is intended to support the Afghan population.
However, since taking office in January 2025, President Trump’s administration has suspended all foreign aid for 90 days, significantly disrupting aid distribution in Afghanistan. This move has raised immediate concerns among humanitarian groups operating in the region.
President Trump has repeatedly expressed concerns about the military equipment left behind after the US withdrawal, which has since fallen into the hands of the Taliban. This time, he has explicitly linked the continuation of U.S. aid to the return of this equipment.
A 2022 report from the US Department of Defense revealed that military equipment worth $7 billion was abandoned during the withdrawal. Most of this equipment had been provided to the NATO-backed Afghan army but was swiftly seized by the Taliban as they took control of the country. The abandoned assets included 78 aircraft, 40,000 military vehicles, and over 300,000 weapons.
In the final weeks of the chaotic withdrawal after 20 years of war, U.S. forces attempted to dismantle or destroy as much of their equipment as possible—ranging from aircraft to computer systems. However, much of the machinery remained intact and fell into Taliban hands.
According to Jason Campbell, a senior researcher at the RAND Corporation, much of the abandoned equipment has deteriorated or been dismantled over the past four years. Campbell noted that the Taliban views this equipment as state assets rather than negotiable spoils.
The interim Afghan government has yet to respond to President Trump’s latest remarks. However, its spokesperson has previously dismissed Trump’s demands for the return of military equipment, calling them unrealistic.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has drawn international attention after forming an unusual bond with a stuffed orangutan toy after being rejected by its mother.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Iran announced on Saturday (21 February) that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal move after the EU blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment